We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

Hi,

My husband and I, our 2 kids, ages 14 and 10,and my 69yr old(young) mom will be visiting DC August 6-10. We definitely want to see the monuments in the National Mall, Smithsonian Air and Space, Arlington Cemetery, White House, Capitol and the Newseum. We all enjoy walking and don't mind the heat. This will be our first trip to DC and we're looking to maximize our time since we really only have 3 full days.

8/6 We arrive in DC around 6pm (driving in from Chicago)staying in Dupont Circle area, dinner then monuments at night on our own.

8/7 metro from Dupont to National Mall

National Gallery of Art

National Archives

National Museum of American History

White House (no tour)

Washington Monument

Vietnam memorial

Licoln memorial

Cross the bridge to Arlington and take a tram tour

Sunset Parade at Iwo Jima at 6:30

Dinner at Ray's Hell Burger

back to Dupont Circle

Any suggestions for lunch around the mall area?

8/8 Air and Space Museum

Capitol tour at 3pm

Library of Congress

Supreme Court

Portrait Gallery

dinner suggestion??

8/9 Newseum

lunch???

Old Town Alexandria in the evening

dinner at Union Street Public House?

8/10 leave

Thanks!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

On 8/7 you list Lincoln & Vietnam memorials - which you will be seeing the night before on your monument walk.

on 8/8 after the Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum you will have dozens of dining options within a couple of blocks in the Gallery Place/Chinatown area.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

If you are at the Air and Space Museum I would suggest if you want to stay on the mall to go to the cafeteria the Native American Museum. The food I hear is better but not cheap. If you want to get off of the mall there is a food court at L'Enfant Plaza. Also between 4th and 6th SW on C St there is a Mc Donalds, Quzinos and a deli.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 16:36
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

You will search in vain for the "Native American Museum" or its cafe. But the National Museum of the American Indian is next door to the Air and Space Museum on The Mall and has a very interesting cafe called Mitsitam with some unusual choices. nmai.si.edu/visit/washington/mitsitam-cafe/

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

On 8/7, I'd arrange your museum visits so you are at the National Gallery of Art at lunchtime. The Cascades Cafe is a food court with a good selection of food--better than your average museum fare. There are also some Value Meals which help the budget. I like its location next to the underground waterfall (hence, the name) and to a neat light/art installation that you all should find appealing. Here's their menu:

http://www.nga.gov/pdf/cascadecafe_menu.pdf

On 8/9, I would just stay and have lunch at the food court, called the Food Section, in the Newseum, Many of the dishes were created/inspired by Wolfgang Puck and I found the food really good. The prices are also good--what you would expect to pay in the area. Here's their menu:

newseum.org/plan-your-visit/…index.html

Williamston...
Level Contributor
875 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

Did you already get a timed entry ticket online for the National Archives? Might save you some time instead of waiting in line.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions! Which of the museums should I attempt to get a timed entry to?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

None of the Smithsonian museums have any sort of timed entry. The private Holocaust Museum is the only museum in town that has that option..

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

"If you are at the Air and Space Museum I would suggest if you want to stay on the mall to go to the cafeteria the Native American Museum. The food I hear is better but not cheap. "

I believe Iam91897 is referring to the Mitsiam Cafe at the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI).

http://www.mitsitamcafe.com/home/default.asp

It is an amazing cafe, probably the best food of any Smithsonian. Their fry bed ($3.10) is a carbo-loaded treat, also available with honey and cinnamon ($3.35) or blue berry wajapia ($3.55). Amazing!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

We are out of luck for a timed entry into the National Archives. It sounds like it's worth the wait for entry. We checked the menus for Cascades Cafe and Mitsitam Cafe and although we are not in DC primarily for food we are going to try to eat at these places. Thanks again for the tips!

10. Re: Itinerary-tentative, need suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:15