We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newport, Oregon
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

Hi, My son and I will be in Washington DC for just one day next weekend. I would like him to see as many of the sights as possible and I am wondering if there is a day tour than anyone can recommend that would be good for children.

Thank you for your help!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

The Duck Tour would work. But you don't really get up close to the Monuments. Maybe do it then cab it to the Lincoln Memorial / Vietnam Wall area to walk around. Really depends on how much time you have to spend.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

For one day - just go to the mall. Look at the Capitol & other buildings, pop into whatever museums he is interested in. Walk or take a cab to Lincoln, walk to FDR and MLK. Google maps will give you the mileage. Any tour will be a waste of time for one day when you're 7.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
808 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

I don't think you really need a specialized tour. A seven year old doesn't need/want a lot of information. They'll just be awed by the grandeur of the monuments. You can fill him in on how great these people were that they deserved these monuments. Most of your great sights will be concentrated along the Mall. Just have a good time walking from one end to the other. You'll get to see the Capitol, Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial. You'll also catch the WW2 , VietNam, and Korean war memorials along the way. You do have to go a little off the Mall to see the White House, though. I think the Jefferson Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are nice to see, but a bit of time is required to get out to see them, so it may not be possible if your time is limited. In addition to your Mall walk, stop in at one or two of the Smithsonian museums. I suggest the Air and Space along with the American History as the best choices.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

I second a Duck tour. They're a lot of FUN and definately something a 7 year old would remember. Don't be afraid to take cabs as it will save you a lot of time. Perhaps chose the highlights of two museums (Air and Space, Natural History or others) and Lincoln Memorial. Keep in mind that you're allowed to bring a backpack with you but it will be search. It's no big deal just bring what you really need like water bottles and snacks. Have fun.

Newport, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

Hi all, Thank you so much for all of the great advice and help, I really appreciate it!

6. Re: Advice for day tour with 7 year old child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 08:17