We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC Parking

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Washington DC Parking

Hi, we are planning on visiting the National Mall and Smithsonian Museum area this weekend (8/25-8/27). We will be getting there Saturday morning and leaving Monday evening. I just wanted to know when exactly street parking in the area is free on the weekends (since hotel parking fees are ridiculous)?

Thank you in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC Parking

In the city, the only time for unrestricted free parking is on Sunday. But even then you need to read the signs very, very carefully. On The Mall, controlled by the US Park Service, I am not sure what the weekend rules are.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC Parking

Coming from New York City, where hotel parking is even higher, I'm surprised you find the rates ridiculous.

Why don't you just take the train down and not have to worry about paying for parking? It's not like one needs a car in DC.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC Parking

No matter what, you're pretty much going to be paying to park if you stay in the city. I usually try to stay outside the city at a hotel near the Metro which has free parking, but when I stay in the city, I usually park at Union Station ($22/day) or Reagan Airport ($20/day in the garage or $15/day in the economy lot - although the economy lot with the need to ride the shuttle is a pain) and ride the Metro into the city. Both Union Station and the Airport Garage have Metro stations adjacent or as part of the facility and each allows overnight parking. If you park elsewhere, make sure you check to see that they allow overnight parking (some will close around midnight and open again in the morning, but allow overnight parking). Do NOT park in the Metro commuter lots, there is no overnight parking allowed in these lots.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC Parking

The unmetered free spots on the Mall (specifically along Madison & Jefferson Drives) have a 3-hour limit at all times. I believe the rules are the same for the free spots near the Memorials.

Where there are meters, weekend free street parking technically begins with the end of the meter period Saturday night at 10 p.m. and runs until 7 a.m. Monday.

Fort Belvoir...
Level Contributor
171 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC Parking

It's going to super hard for you to find parking. We found a parking garage near the Mall. It's off of 13 th Street. You'll pay about 20 dollars. It's lit , clean, and has an attendent too.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC Parking

Free parking can be had by the Jefferson (a couple of lots and street parking with no time limit - only restrictions overnight if I recall correctly) on Saturday and Monday. Also, maybe check the tidal basin - not sure of the restrictions for the weekend and that is a little closer.

No idea where your hotel is but you can find neighborhood parking that is not restricted on Saturday and Sunday if you know where to look and read the signs correctly - lots of parking around Dupont Circle as an example.

Park at any meter on Sunday without having to pay.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC Parking

WHICH Smithsonian Museum? There are several. Smithsonian ia an institution, administering several museums, most-- but not all-- of which are located along the Mall. As noted, parking is tough. I used to work about 3-4 blocks from the Air & Space Museum, south of the Mall, and on the rare occasions I drove, I had to pay over $10, even if I arrived early. Parking at a Metro station may work IF you arrive early (many lots fill up fast). Check www.wmata.com for more info on parking at Metro stations.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 14:49
ottawa,on
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC Parking

Hi. Curious where you stay? I am planning to drive down in March so finding a hotel with free parking with public transportation nearby is exactly what I need. Many thanks in advance. A

virginia beach,VA
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC Parking

Does anyone know what company operates the parking garage on 13th St between E and F streets? I plan on using that garage instead of hotel valet this weekend and I just want to verify what the rates are. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington DC Parking

Does it offer 24-hour parking? Have you tried this site: http://washingtondc.bestparking.com/