We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for social activity

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Options for social activity

My family is traveling down in Oct for a long weekend and hope to squeeze in a visit with some friends. It will be a group of 8+ adults and a few kids (6-8yrs) and we are trying to figure out something to do that will allow us to get together and actually talk and visit and not cost something equal to a house down payment. I had thought of bowling or a dinner cruise but have not found anything that is really thrilling me.

A typical dinner is a bit of a turn off since you can really only socialize with the people immediately next to and across from you.

The 'local' folks are from VA/MD so they will be traveling in/down. We will not have a car but are comfortable with public transit.

If there are any local folks that could recommend a place would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
131 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for social activity

Have you thought about the Renfest? Its a great way to spend a day and you can do some things together and split into smaller groups for other activities. You would need car or a ride to get there though.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for social activity

If the weather is good you could have a picnic. There are several parks where you can watch the planes land and/or take off from Reagan National. The kids would love it because there is a lot of open space to run around. How about take the boat cruise down to Mt Vernon? There is not a dinner but people can talk and enjoy the cruise.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for social activity

On Sat. & Sun. Beach Drive in Rock Creek park is closed to cars and people can walk, bike, skate, scooter etc. right on the road. It's a great way to socialize with your group, especially on a nice fall day. My large extended family does this every Thanksgiving.

4. Re: Options for social activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:18