We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

My 71 year old mom and I are travelling to Washington D.C. for the first time November 14 -18 and are looking for at least a 3 star hotel or better with shopping within a block or adjacent to the property as well as easy access to top attractions via metra, taxi, with walking being the last option.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

Shopping for what? It's Metro, not metra

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

By the way, my budget is $200 a night.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

Thanks for the correction. Here is Chicago it is called the metra. Mom doesn't want to do any high end shopping - just be able to buy something simple like a shirt or earrings and "say I bought them in D.C.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

There are two hotels that come to mind with lots of shopping and easy Metro access. The Pentagon City Ritz Carlton and the Embassy Suites Chevy Chase. Both have shopping without needing to go outside.

The Marriott Metro Center is also almost across the street from Macy's downtown, as well as some other shopping within a short walk. The two mentioned above have a mall.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

If you just want souvenir shopping, you can find that in tons of stores and at street stands. No need to base a hotel choice on that. Pentagon City Ritz Carlton for $200? Pentagon City mall is nearby but you don't need to go there to get "My XXX Was In DC And All I Got Was This T-Shirt" shirt. However, my wife bought some cheap souvenir shirts at a street stand right in front. You can get some higher-end souvenirs in gift shops of most of the museums.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

Agree with the Marriott Metro Center if you can get it at your price point. You might also check the Grand Hyatt which is a block further away from the Metro and Macy's.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

If you are just shopping for a few souvenirs, there is no need to pick your hotel based on its proximity to a store.

Since you will be here for a few days, it is very likely that you will be at or near Union Station at some point. It is near the Capitol and many tours start from there. There are many stores in there with items that are great for souvenirs.

IMHO, major national store chains like Macys are not good places for souvenirs, because they sell mostly the same stuff all over the country. Can you imagine if your friend get you something from Hawaii, but in Macys there?

You can browse the store listing for Union Station here:

http://www.unionstationdc.com/shopping

They have a new Smithsonian store there, and the Lost City Art store carries some interesting looking stuff.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 02:14
8. Re: Need great D.C. hotel with shopping adjacent or closeby.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2013, 10:17