We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rainbow, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

I will be in DC for business and will be there over a weekend. How far are the wineries in the area. Any advice on which ones to go to and how to get there? Any good tour companies that will pick up one person in DC for a wine tasting day?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

There are wineries within an hour of D.C. More 2.5 to 3 hours.

Best idea is to do a search on Virginia Wines and there are websites with maps, then rent a car.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Some wineres in Virginia and Maryland are, as noted, within an hour of DC (e.g., near Haymarket, Virginia and Mt. Airy/Damascus in Maryland). When I lived in the area, I went on a day trip, by car, to Jefferson's home in Monticello, and we stopped for lunch at a winery on the way (south of Montpelier). Lots of options. You will need to have a car.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 15:13
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Do an Internet search. I found this quite quickly. …about.com/od/wineriesvineyards/Wineries_Vin…

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Harrisburg / Charlottesville is about an hour half from DC. If you have never been to Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. Wineries, scenery, Skyline Drive, history, lots of eating options in the small towns.

If you go down I-95 from DC, at Fredricksburg take State 33 west to Harrisburg. There are wineries along this road and Adams home is in Orange. Couple wineries near Gordonsville. 33 will take you up over the Blueridge and Skyline drive. Several options to turn north off 33 or you can go to Harrisburg and take I-81 back up to DC.

And you didn't mention when you will be here, but trees will be changing color soon.

Check: www.virginiawine.org/wineries and vawineinmypocket.com/wineries/

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

And if you don't want the long trip - how about a brewery tour right in DC instead of a winery? http://www.dcbrau.com/#

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Hi there - if you have an iPhone (or iPad or Touch) or Android phone, you may want to download the Virginia Wine in My Pocket app - it's a travel guide to all wineries in Virginia, with descriptions, photos, maps etc. It also includes lodging at/near wineries, plus restaurants. (Disclaimer - my husband and I are the authors! We visited 160 Virginia wineries while researching the app, and update it several times a year.)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

check out Loudon county vineyards.

visitloudoun.org/Experience-Loudoun/…20

drive thru waterford, va. worth it

http://www.waterfordvillage.org/about.htm

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

Va Wine

Welcome. Just a word of helpful advise. One of the forbidden postings is self advertisement, especially if it is a profit seeking venture. You will find your posts deleted when you self promote. However, you can give advise out of the goodness of your heart.

I am sure that if you wanted to advertise on TA, that they would be happy to accommodate.

9. Re: Can you day-trip to the Virginia Wine Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:15