We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Docent lead tours

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Docent lead tours

Are the docent led tours at every museum? How do we learn about start times? Do they take reservations or are they first come first served? Do they limit the size of their tours groups?

I love the ranger led tours at the national parks and hope to make our tours more meaningful.

Thanks

D.C. Ducks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Duck Tours
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Docent lead tours

I would start with a look at the website for the Smithsonian.

http://www.si.edu/Museums

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Docent lead tours

The Smithsonian website does a great job in giving out this info on their webpage as I have been paying attention to it for my trip this weekend. Just go to the individual Museum page. I haven't seen them limit the size of them but have felt that the bigger they are, the less you get out of them.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,502 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Docent lead tours

I've only been on a couple of the docent-led tours, but I've never encountered a problem with too many people. (Perhaps that happens in the summer when I tend to avoid the Smithsonians/NGA).

Here is the link to the guided docent tours at the National Gallery of Art:

http://www.nga.gov/programs/tours/

All you have to do is show up at the appointed time. The docents I have had were excellent! I highly recommend taking the time for these tours.

Edited: 17 September 2012, 20:01
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Docent lead tours

I have been on several of the docent led tours and greatly enjoyed them. I was surprised that more people weren't taking those tours. If you find yourself at a sight when tours are not offered, the people at the front desk can usually give you a map and mark some specific things of interest on it.

At some of the Smithsonian museums, I found the uniformed guards in each room to be very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions. That's different than some other places I have been where the guards aren't supposed to interact with the visitors. Maybe it just depends on how crowded it is.

5. Re: Docent lead tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 03:18