We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

My gf and I will be up in DC around the end of this month. We are looking for a historic, haunted, or just an unusual (i.e. the setup is unique, specialty drinks like old fashioned absinthe, etc.). It doesnt matter if its upscale or casual. We would prefer it not be more than an hour outside of the general Capitol area.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Historic:

Round Robin Bar at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel

Old Ebbitt Grill

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

The PX in Old Town Alexandria.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Though under the topic of "dive bars" many of these are just unique, local & funky.

princeofpetworth.com/2007/…

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Excellent! Many thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Is that your GF in your profile photo?

There is some bar called Columbia Room that is supposed to be cool

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

No, not my girlfriend. Actually a pic from the movie Grownups. The car she is bending over is mine, but in royal blue.

Columbia Room, huh? The website is pretty scarce on details... can you tell me more?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
803 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Columbia Room is a bar within a bar. Reservations are needed most of the time. We recommend doing the tasting menu/prix fixe option. You'll get a welcome drink, second drink paired with a small bite, and third drink based on a chat with the bartenders. If there is space (it only seats 10) you can stay and have drinks a la carte. The owner designed it based on Japanese bars. All the staff are excellent & have great knowledge of drinks, and they grow some items & herbs on their rooftop garden. It was one of the 4 finalists for best bars in America this year.

It is in the back of the Passenger, which is our favorite bar in the city. It feels like a dive, but serves excellent drinks. There is no set cocktail list, but a chalkboard listing 4-5 drinks a noght. Don't want one of those? The bartenders can make most anything. We ususlly order by stating what spirit we want, then let them decide on the drink. Tuesday is Tiki night.

As for historic, Round Robin & Old Ebbit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
803 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

We would also suggest:

Tabard Inn. If it's chilly, they'll have a lovely fire going. If not, sit at the small bar or in the garden. The hotel opened in 1922.

Off the Record in the basement of the Hay Adams, across from the White House. You may spot a politico or press.

Martin's Tavern in Georgetown. Booths are marked with plaques such as the Kennedy proposal booth, the LBJ booth, and the Truman booth.

Cheers!

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Historic/Haunted/Unusual Bars

Funny, someone I know just mentioned Hay Adams over the Willard for historic. Thanks, Poebelack!