We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Is the Metro the best way to get from Reagan National to my Dupont Circle hotel on a Thurs afternoon (2ish) or since they appear to be on different lines, would I be better to do a ground transfer or cab?

What about to the airport on Sunday early evening?

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

If you aren't particularly concerned about cost, a cab should be about $20-25 and under 20 minutes at that hour. The Metro will be far cheaper, but depending on how you time the trains could take you longer. Note also that many of the hotels described as being in Dupont Circle may be as much as a 10 minute walk from the Metro.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Some concern on cost but it is not the only factor. There are a couple of us so for the price/time difference we may just cab it.

Thanks

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

What hotel? Check Metro time at www.wmata.com. As you seem to have learned, you'd have to change trains, either at Metro Center (Blue Line to Red Line) or Gallery Place (Yellow Line to Red Line). Metro cars don't have a lot of rum for luggage, but I used it all the time. In your case, cab could be better, since you'd probably encounter light road traffic, and Metro often has track work on weekends, which can delay trains. Plenty of cabs at DCA. But use Metro during the week!

Edited: 20 September 2012, 19:41
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

p.s. sorry, that's "room," not "rum" on Metro cars (though they don't have much rum, either).

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Actually the amount of rum seems to increase during the late hours on Friday and Saturday nights ...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

The British navy "ruled the seas" by giving each seaman a pint of rum a day. Maybe not a bad idea for Metro!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

All the talk of rum has my mouth watering for a mojito. My friend was going to look and see if there was an app to track the metro. We have them here and they work pretty well. Will use www.wmata.com as a fall back. We travel light and are use to luggage on trains, will see how we feel.

Thanks for all the great info.

DC
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Be aware that if you're coming before the end of October the south entrance to the Dupont Circle station will be closed. It will be open after that if they get the escalators replaced on time. On time being TEN MONTHS instead of the original plan that it would only take EIGHT MONTHS, If you believe that they will get the escalators replaced by the end of October, I have a bridge I can sell you. This is of interest because the escalators at Dupont Circle are very long and the elevator isn't guaranteed to be working.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

Good to know, we will be there next weekend.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reagan National to Dupont Circle - best way

With respect to an app ... DC Rider and Embark DC are the two apps I have on my iPhone which display the train times around the system. DC Rider appears to directly tap the wmata.com mobile site for it's information. I tend to prefer the Embark app however personally. I'm sure there are probably others.