We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On Board Tours DC

Jacksonville...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
On Board Tours DC

O.K. If my math is correct the opinions about this company are split almost right down the middle. We would like to visit Mt. Vernon. The 10:30 start time for this company's tour is very attractive to my sleepy-head wife. Do any of you experts have any experience with this company, or other Mt. Vernon tours. I would love to see this historical site as trouble free and comfortable as possible. We will be in DC Oct 5th thru 8th. Thanks Tripadvisor for all your great info.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On Board Tours DC

Here is what people are saying about them on Yelp:

yelp.com/biz/…20DC

Visiting Mount Vernon on your own isn't that difficult. Take a look at this info on their website:

http://www.mountvernon.org/more/directions

Also, one of the "Top Questions" (Found on the right hand side of this forum page) discusses it more:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k293764…

Edited: 24 September 2012, 00:08
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On Board Tours DC

Super simple on public transportation. No need for a tour.

Jacksonville...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On Board Tours DC

Thanks for your replies. I have never used public transportation before, but I guess this trip to DC is as good a time as any to start. I've been all over the metro web site and I have seen the trip planner. So after the metro, transferring to a bus isn't a hassle is it? I heard the metro is nice and clean, how about the buses? Thanks folks.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On Board Tours DC

I have not taken the bus to Mt Vernon but was on a few buses today and they are easy to use. Generally on-time but they do have to face traffic so there may be slight delays, Bus stops were also easy to find.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: On Board Tours DC

We did this last October. The Fairfield Connector buses are right there at Huntington Station, so it is super easy to transfer. Here is the quote from the Mount Vernon website:

"Take Metro Rail's Yellow Line Train to Huntington Station in Virginia. Exit at the lower level (Huntington Avenue) of the station to catch a Fairfax Connector bus to Mount Vernon. Board the Fairfax Connector Bus #101 (Fort Hunt Line) at Huntington Station for a 20-minute trip (approximately 7.5 miles) to Mount Vernon's entrance gate."

The important thing is to exit at the lower level and look for the Huntington Avenue exit. You will see the buses. Unless it has changed, the 101 bus was the last one on the right as you exit the station. The bus lets you off right at the entrance to Mount Vernon so you couldn't get lost if you tried!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On Board Tours DC

Take the Metro to Huntington. There is a regular bus that takes you out to Mount Vernon from there and runs every half hour. It's a lot cheaper than On Board. You also do not have to worry about changing dates or getting your money back if you cancel. On Board does not give refunds, so you would have to take it up with your credit card company if you changed your mind.

The advantage of using public transportation is that it is easy and cheap. I forgot the bus number, but just ask at Huntington when you get there via the Blue or Yellow lines. You can stay at Mount Vernon as long as you like and do not have to worry about when On Board's bus leaves. Just check the times for the regular bus. It runs every half hour. Really easy.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: On Board Tours DC

I think this company is shut down in DC by the feds. I am curious if anyone knows if they are shut down in New York too?

…dot.gov/about/…washingtondcpartyshuttle.aspx

8. Re: On Board Tours DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:19