We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

Going to be in DC for a few days and tossing around the idea of visiting a winery. Are there any that are "cant miss" or high-recommended?

We will probably be without a car, but if we have to rent one or find another way, we would be willing to do so, if worth it.

Thanks.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

If you've been to a winery before you can skip it here. With so much else to do, and having to rent a car to get there I wouldn't recommend. If you are just thinking about having a day out in the countryside I would suggest a trip to Great Falls (need a car) or Harper's Ferry (take a train) Mt. Vernon will also give you a taste of the countryside.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

The best of the wineries are in Virginia, about 90 minutes to two hours west / southwest of D.C. They are in scenic rolling hills, and driving between them will give you a good feel for Central VA. BUT I wouldn't describe any of them as can' t miss, particularly not as compared to what you'd find in California or in Europe. The wine itself also doesn't rate at that level.

So if you were going to be here for two weeks, and had seen all the major tourist draws already, I'd say a day in wine country could be nice. But if you have only a few days in D.C. there are ways for you to spend your time you'll likely get more out of.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

Thank you, Warthog.

I figured they would be a bit out of the way. I apprciate your honest with my time restrictions. Perhaps next visit or trip to VA.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
50 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

All the comments about wineries are correct. So let me make an alternative option that is already on the sightseers's to-do list. Mt. Vernon (GW's home) opened a whiskey distillery a few years ago. It's approximately 30 minutes south of downtown. If you've never been to Mt Vernon, it's a great historical sight with great views of the Potomac River. Enjoy!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

Do a search for breweries in DC. There are several that have recently opened that you can visit for tastings, if new alcohol is your thing.

If you want to visit a winery for the scenic atmosphere, the above commentators are correct.

If you're really set on a winery, look in Loudon County (google va wine guide), and expect to need a car and about 1 hour driving time each way. Several good choices, but as others said, nothing to die for.

6. Re: Any wineries worth seeing around the DC area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:18