We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Havelock North, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

We're New Zealanders who be in Washington for the first (and probably only time) for a week from November 19-26 and are still in the process of choosing our accommodation. We'd like some advice on a nice restaurant where we can have a fairly traditional but not over-the-top Thanksgiving dinner, as we realise we may have to make a reservation before we arrive in the city.

Many thanks.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

While I'm not a huge fan of Open Table (it does have its drawbacks), it is good for finding out which restaurants are serving Thanksgiving dinner. A couple of years ago, I used it to find a place for Thanksgiving dinner in DC.

www.opentable.com/washington-dc-restaurants

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,616 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

I recommend one of the Clyde's restaurants. Which one could depend on where you end up staying. The one at Gallery Place is quite nice, but all of them have some charm.

Havelock North, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

Thanks to you both - some good suggestions there for restaurants to try other than Thanksgiving as well. We're trying to decide between Georgetown and Dupont Circle as a base - but all the hotels seem pricey when converted to our $NZ (or Pacific peso as we like to call it!) and we don't seem to gain much advantage by staying for a week. But we certainly don't see any point in being too far out, so all of those restaurant suggestions should be easy to get to.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,616 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

If you are planning to be in DC for a week and can do without the hotel amenities, then looking at renting an apartment through VRBO or another such site is an idea that can save some money. Just be sure to get good advice here as to location before committing.

Havelock North, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

Thanks - we have looked at a bit of that type of accommodation, but think we'll stick with a hotel this time.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

The Four Seasons in Georgetown. VERY Expensive but its worth it.

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

regarding the stay both dupont & georgetown are expensive.. can stay little outside to compensate for spending at things you can enjoy here than investing in stay, where u'll hardly go to catch up night's sleep. one of best options will be to stay in Virginia, metro is always there to commute.. can try dunn lording/fairfax for good budget hotels .. as compare to DC ll be quiet cheap.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

We'll be in DC during Thanksgiving as well and Opentable was one of the easiest ways to see who was open (although we're going non-traditional for dinner with Rasika).

Have you figured out your lodging? In the past few years we've stayed at the Grand Hyatt near Penn Quarter, but they booked up already. Most of the Marriott properties are $99-$109 a night, which looked good, until we factored in $45 parking per night! If you won't have a car - I would check some of those properties. We ended up booking the Holiday Inn Rosslyn. At first I wasn't sure about staying further out, but with the price ($78/night), free parking, and Metro access, I think it'll work out fine.

9. Re: Where to get Thanksgiving dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:19