We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA East coast city dilemma

Banchory, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
USA East coast city dilemma

Myself and a friend are travelling to the East of USA next year but we have limited time and want to cram in as much as possible and drive over to Chicago. Dilemma is we want to see both Washington DC and Philadelphia but think it may not be possible to stay over in both. Therefore, any advice on which is the better city to spend a night in would be greatly appreciated. I am favouring Philadelphia but am open to advice.

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

There are many more iconic sights in DC than in Philadelphia. But both are nice cities. I think DC is far better though as I have lived here all my life. Why are you leaning towards Philadelphia?

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

You plan to spend only one night in either Philadelphia or Washington DC?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

I'm very biased in favor of DC, but I'd say that objectively:

DC city has more to see.

The people in DC are more welcoming of tourists.

There are more and better lodging options in DC close to the major tourist sites, which will be important if you only have one night.

There are more varied dining options available in D.C., although Philly does have some iconic food choices available.

While you didn't ask this question, I'll volunteer that the drive to Chicago is boring. I'd fly to Chicago from either DC or Philadelphia, and use the time saved to see more of one of those three cities.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

Spend the night in DC, spend the day in Philadelphia and drive west at the end of the day and spend the next night at substantially cheaper accommodations outside either of the cities somewhere along the PA Turnpike (that is, if you insist on driving to Chicago instead of flying).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

Why are you favoring Philly? What attractions have you found in each city that interest you? You're leaving out important info.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

You will be exhausted and frustrated trying to cover so much territory so fast. You seem naive in not realizing the long distances involved. You will be occupied much of the one day you are in (either Washington or Philadelphia), just in finding and checking into your hotel, trying to orient yourself in that city and coping with the extreme traffic congestion of just getting in and out of town, let alone having much time to see sights. Washington alone has hundreds of worthwhile sights (listed on this website), many of them world-class and free of charge. How could you not want to stay longer.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 01:07
Williamston...
Level Contributor
833 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

Just how limited is your time? It's hard to do either city in just one day, but especially so for Washington DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

Philadelphia and DC are extremely far from Chicago. You need to look at a map and stop assuming that things in the US are as close together as things in the UK.

It makes much more sense to fly from Philly or DC to Chicago, not drive.

Greater Manchester
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

Hi Grant0610 - we're currently visiting Washington DC and I agree with all of the above. There is so much to do here (lots of it world class and free of charge) and one day will not do it justice at all. This is our third visit (a week each time) and while we're revisiting some old favourites, we're still seeing new things.

And yes, the distance between cities here is very different to the UK, even Scotland!

JSCAPM

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA East coast city dilemma

To give a comparison, the distance to Chicago from the other 2 cities, is nearly equal to the distance from Mid-Scotland to London.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 21:18