We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hagerstown area to Dulles....

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hagerstown area to Dulles....

Traveling to IAD for morning flight on Friday, Nov. 9. Coming from Hagerstown, Md. area. What is the best way to get to IAD arriving in the area between 6:30 - 7:30 am (9:30 am flight). I understand there is a toll road, but also a Dulles access road? Is this rush hour time for a Friday morning? Please advise. Thank you for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,962 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hagerstown area to Dulles....

Coming from Hagerstown, I'm not sure you want to use the Dulles Access road at all, but someone with experience can possibly answer. But if you are going to the airport and are coming from the Beltway or other road east of Dulles, you can get on the Dulles Access road which is free but only goes to the airport. Those not going to the airport must use the parallel toll road which has exits to places other than the airport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hagerstown area to Dulles....

Take I-81 South and then come East on Rte 7. Mapquest may have an alternate route worth considering. You do not want to risk getting stuck on I-270 South or the Beltway during rush hour.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hagerstown area to Dulles....

At that hour of the morning I would also avoid I-270 and the Beltway. I-81 is an option, but I might consider taking it all the way down to Route 50 as I think 50 has fewer traffic lights and less West Virginia commuter traffic. It'll also save you some money by avoiding the toll road between Dulles and Leesburg. Alternatively, I think the shortest route in terms of distance would be to take I-70 to Fredrick MD, then US 15 south to Leesburg, then the Dulles Toll road (267) to the Airport. You can get traffic on US 15 where it crosses the Potomac, but I'd hope that at 6:30 AM it isn't that bad.

4. Re: Hagerstown area to Dulles....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 10:19