We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Houston
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Good day TA...

Yes, I realize that I am a little delayed in realizing that I am interested in going to the Inauguration next year (lol) have come to find out that hotel rooms are $600 - $800.. Do you have any suggestions in areas or hotels in which I can continue my search?? I don’t mind spending mid $300 a night… I heard that with the large crowd, that it's difficult finding restaurants, is that true???

Also, I know that there are A LOT of events going on during that time, and didn’t know if there was a forum or website that I should keep up to date with… Any tips or advice on how to make this trip one to remember?

As always, I truly appreciate any and all assistance..

Houston
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

CORRECTION -I do not minding spending $300 - $500 a night on a room.. $600 would really be pushing it.....

Thank you again TA

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Get your room reserved ASAP. Prices will only go up and rooms will get scarcer and scarcer. And, yes, the downtown restaurants will be very crowded during those days around the event. Even places further afield, if they are well-known and good will be extra busy. If you look around the forum you will see several other topics about the Inauguration already.

Houston
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Darrell6t, yes I have been reading other forums.. I was actually thinking about seeing if someone in the area had some rental property... I dont know the DC area, so everytime I find a hotel with availability I an having to research exactly how far they are from everything, and if they are by public transportation...

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Check hotels in Arlington and Alexandria, including on Hotwire and Priceline. Also plan how you'll get to the inauguration area and where you'd stand or sit to see anything. I worked in DC and walked to the Mall to see one of the Clinton inaugurations but I was so far away I had to imagine what was taking place. I think you may be able to pay to get grandstand seats for the inaugural parade, but not to the inaugration ceremony itself (unless you have some pull with your Congressional representative). www.wmata.com has info on public transportation. Expedia shows lots of hotels in Alexandria and Arlington for $300-400. Supply and demand.

charlotte
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Check the Baltimore area as well, it an hour away.Am staying there and I called the vistor beureau for DC and she told me I could ride the train in and catch the metro. Am late as well on making plans but I do have a hotel room booked it on Tuesday night.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

The website for the inauguration committee is:

http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/

There will be many events that are not sponsored by the inauguration committee. You can probably find information on other events in the Washington Post as it gets closer to the date.

If you're from Houston, the Texas State Society does the Black Tie and Boots ball during the inaugural weekend. It was a big even during the Bush administrations. It will still be a big event in 2013, but not as prominent. It's on Friday the 19th at National Harbor.

https:/…

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

Courtyard by Marriott in Rosslyn shows rooms starting at $359 and the basic Americana Motel in Alexndria starting at just under $200. Out of curiosity I checked the Courtyard in Silver Spring (near where I once lived), which is out a ways but on a Metro line, and it had rooms starting at $395. Baltimore and/or the BWI air;port area may be worth a shot, though I'd find it a bit of a drag to get to DC each way (preferably by MARC commuter train or Amtrak vs. driving).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

It's not a good idea to stay as far away as Baltimore to visit DC. The problem with the MARC train is that it's really designed for commuters, so it starts running very infrequently starting in the evenings. On the weekend, it doesn't run at all, and then your option is Amtrak, which is also infrequent but significantly more expensive.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

"The problem with the MARC train is that it's really designed for commuters, so it starts running very infrequently starting in the evenings."

The bigger problem might be that there is no MARC service on federal holidays and Martin Luther King Day is the same day as the inauguration. Not sure if they will make an exception or not.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inauguration 2013.. First time to D.C.

The 57th inauguration of the President of the United States will take place Monday, Jan. 21, 2013 - the second time in history that Inauguration Day coincides with Martin Luther King Jr., Day. It will be the 17th time that the Jan. 20 the swearing-in date mandated by the Constitution has fallen on a Sunday, requiring the ceremony to be held the following day.

Saw no notice of Inauguration Day 2013 on the MARC Web site yet, though it did not have service last year on Jan. 16 (when MLK birthday was observed). Amtrak should be running, but costs more than MARC. On a more positive note, Metro in the DC area will have an expanded schedule, starting about 4 a.m.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 20:26