We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurants

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurants

My husband and I will be in the DC area at the end of May. We are looking for some restaurant suggestions. We really like seafood and steak. Also, is there outdoor dining available in many places?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurants

Tom Sietsema, The Washington Posts' food critic, does an annual list of his top 50 restaurants. For seafood in DC, he likes Johnny's Half Shell (www.johnnyshalfshell.net) 2002 P St., NW His favorite places in DC for steak are 2 chain places: Charlie Palmer Steak (www.charliepalmer.com/steak), 101 Constitution Ave., NW; and Capital Grille (www.thecapitalgrille.com), 601 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Washingtonian Magazine recently came out with its list of "100 Very Best Restaurants". For seafood, they recommend: DC Coast (www.dccoast.com), 1401 K St., NW; Black Salt , 4883 MacArthur Blvd, NW; Hank's Oyster Bar, 1624 Q St., NW; Kinkead's, 2000 Pennsylvania Ave., NW (www.kinkead.com); Oceanaire Seafood Room (www.theoceanaire.com) 1201 F St., NW; Pesce, 2016 P St., NW

Washingtonian Magazine also likes Johnny's Half Shell and Charlie Palmer Steak.

One seafood place that's Zagat-rated and has outdoor dining: Sea Catch (www.seacatchrestaurant.com), 1054 31st. St., NW

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurants

I HIGHLY recommend the Oceannaire Restaurant. My husband and I went there for our anniversary last year and LOVED IT! We can't wait to go back. I have eaten crab cakes all over the state of Maryland and have Oceannaire's were the best. The service was also fantastic.

One word of advice, share an appetizer or side dish. The portions at this place are ENORMOUS! My husband ordered a half portion of red potatoes and they returned with a plate with enough potatoes to feed a small city in Idaho.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurants

Thanks for the recommendations! Those all sound like good options. We are looking forward to visiting the DC area. If you think of any other places you would recommend, please let me know.

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurants

For outdoor seating, I'd also recommend TenPenh at 10th and Pennsylvania, NW. It's "Pan-Asian" food, but they usually have several seafood dishes.

There are lots of outdoor options (one of the things I love about DC dining), but you may want to look at places that are convenient to where you're staying? What neighborhood will you be in? Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle have several inexpensive, outdoor options. These aren't the best restaurants, but some of the food is decent and the atmosphere is nice.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurants

We are actually staying outside of DC (Silver Spring), but plan to spend a few evenings and weekend in DC. Thanks for the suggestions.

Would you recommend taking the Metro from the suburbs into DC?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurants

Yes, metro is highly recommended and easy to navigate. It's not too long a ride from Silver Spring and the red line is very convenient to many major sites and neighborhoods. (You can always change lines, of course).

Level Contributor
503 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurants

For outdoor seating, you might look into 701 Restaurant. They have table sset up right at the Navy Memorial, so it's a fairly unusual setting. And they're right at the Metro stop, so no parking worries.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurants

My favorite seafood in DC was hands-down at DC Coast. Delicious. The Morton's on Connecticut and L has fantastic steak (though it is a chain).

Definitely take the metro into town from Silver Spring. It will be convenient and fast.

Greece
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurants

The restaurants about which you were talking about seem delicious.

Could you please tell me about the approximative prices of seafood (with wine included of course) for a single person ?

Thanks a lot ...

Pearl

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurants

Pearl:

If you have a three course meal at DC Coast with a glass of wine, it will probably run you about $70-$80 (including taxes and gratuity). I'd say most of the restaurants posted here are about the same caliber (on the pricey side) and would cost about the same. Obviously, you could eat less and pay less - or drink more and pay more ;-)

There are some other fun places to go that cost less than the ones mentioned here, especially if you're dining alone. If you want some other suggestions, please feel free to ask (maybe on a new post). Otherwise, enjoy!