We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Disclaimer...political opinion free post :)

Please help, so confused on what to do since my perfect itinerary is pretty much shot. I cant fly into Reagan and all DC close by hotels are sold out ofcourse.

So here are my options

Fly into BWI

Fly into Dulles

Stay at Dulles Airport hotel

Stay in Fairfax

flying in only for one night for inauguration only, would be nice if i could attend a party or dinner sunday night as well...leaving monday evening after the madness. I am guessing i have to be up and out very early so i would like to stay somewhere close but you guys know best help me PLEASE!!!!!

Inauguration questions:

How do i get to the public viewing area

How do i find out about any indoor locations for viewing nearby

What happens after the swearing in ceremony, mass exit ? timing to get out of the area and is lunch even possible??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

If you can stay in Fairfax within walking distance of a metro station, that would be a good option. But you have to be sure it's close to a metro station, otherwise transportation to DC would be an extremely painful headache.

Staying at Dulles is an example of why being far from the metro is a bad idea. There is no metro station anywhere near Dulles. Your only inexpensive transit from the airport to DC would be a bus that only comes every 40 minutes and is bound to get stuck in what will for sure be heavy traffic.

BWI would be a bad airport to fly into if you end up staying in Northern Virginia.

It'd be great to stay closer than Fairfax but I understand that it's a busy time and you'll have to make compromises.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 17:23
Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

jeez worse than i thought. So you think fly into Dulles and take a cab to fairfax and stay there for the night? take metro into town monday morning?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Well Dulles is much much closer to Fairfax than BWI, so it would be far preferable. A cab from BWI to anywhere in Fairfax would be extremely expensive.

Also note that "Fairfax" refers to both a huge county as well as a town. The only metro stop near the town of Fairfax is the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU stop, the very last stop on the Orange Line. About a 30 minute ride from there to DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Any hotel in Arlington or Alexandria will not be too far from Dulles and likely closer to DC than Fairfax. You might be better off renting a car though. But if it is close to a Metro stop, you might get away with no car.

You will be able to take Metro to the Inauguration ceremony. There are several stations within a few blocks of The Mall, where you will stand. All lines come into the center of the city and that is only a few blocks from the action on The Mall. You might start by looking around the King Street and Eisenhower Avenue stations in Alexandria.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Let me try and take a stab at the inauguration questions.

How do i get to the public viewing area

Some areas will be ticked and others will not. To get into a ticked area, you will need a ticket. These will be distributed by congressional offices (House and Senate). More information coming from the Joint Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies later in November (see link below). Don't worry about being far away, though. In past years, they have set up giant TV screens so everyone can see. To get to the Mall, I highly recommend Metro.

How do i find out about any indoor locations for viewing nearby

This is a good question. Bars and restaurants might have watching parties. Not sure though. Keep an ear out to DC centric blogs like Metrocurian or dcist.com and see what they mention.

What happens after the swearing in ceremony, mass exit ? timing to get out of the area and is lunch even possible??

After the ceremony is the parade from the Capitol to the White House along Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. In between, for the President, is a luncheon hosted by Congress. Lunch options on the Mall are not great. Having a plan for which direction to go for lunch is probably best. I would recommend avoiding Union Station's food court, as it will likely be a zoo.

Here are also a website for your consideration:

Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies

http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/

There is also a Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) that handles most of the inaugural balls and other events and an Armed Forces Inaugural Committee (AFIC), which coordinates the parade (among other activities). Neither of these entities has a website, yet.

I hope this helps.

dctravel

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

WOW!! how awesome are you guys!

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Any place on the mall will be good. There are giant screens, good sound and a convivial crowd. Last inauguration, many of the closest metro stations were closed however, due to overcrowding. Not a huge problem - everyone just walked a little more - so be prepared to walk a total of 3-5 miles that day.

The Newseum is offering some kind of watching event - check their website.

If you know any lobbyists or lawyers in DC with offices along PA. ave try to wrangle an invitation - most all will be having parties to watch the parade

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

You may have a hard time finding a hotel near DC for that Sunday night. If you can book a hotel at the BWI airport, I would suggest you make a cancellable reservation immediately as your safety net. You can then continue to look for something better or closer.

If you cannot find anything else, you can take the Amtrak or Marc train into DC from that hotel. Leave your luggage at the hotel and take it up when you return to BWI for your flight.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

Worth noting that the Amtrak trains for January 21 into Washington from Baltimore are already sold out. And for the day before, Sunday the 20th, most are already sold out but there is still some availability.

Houston
Level Contributor
444 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inauguration/travel/hotel Questions

crap i totally forgot about my luggage...if i am leaving fairfax in the morning for inauguaration and my flight is not till 7pm what do i do with my luggage all day? is there a left luggage at Raegan i could leave it there until i go back to check in?