We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

I am travelling on the 9.20am Amtrak to NYC this coming Tuesday. My hotel is in the Fair Oaks area.

How long would a taxi take from there to Vienna metro arriving at the metro Stn at about 7:40am? I have a suitcase.

I assume traffic will be heavy, given what I have seen the past few days I have been here.

Second option is a taxi all the way To Union Stn but I suspect traffic would be heavy all the way.

(have done a six am departure from Dunn-loring and the metro was a breeze that early)

Thanks for any input

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
35 reviews
from US$49.00*
International Spy Museum
197 reviews
from US$21.95*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
3 reviews
from US$115.00*
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

I don't know what time you will need to leave if you take metro. I would guess (not knowing where you are staying exactly) 15-30 minutes depending on how the taxi takes you. As I said that is a big guess. You might ask the front desk at your hotel.

I would not take the taxi into Union Station. You will pay through the nose possibly due to traffic.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

Cab could take up to 30 minutes depending on traffic. I take Metro from Vienna to Union Station frequently - that ride is 50-55 minutes during rush hour.

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

I booked a cab allowing for 30 minutes - the hotel front desk seemed to think 30 mins would be ample.

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

Just a follow up to say what happened. Hotel was On fair ridge drive.

Cab turned up on time at 7:00 am. Took 25 mins to Vienna Stn. Traffic heavy on route 50 and 66 West but moving Ok.

Cost $20 before tip.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

Thank you for the feedback!

Australia
Level Contributor
811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

I meant 66 east.....

7. Re: Fair Oaks to Vienna metro or union station for 9.20am Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 10:16