We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need a Car?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will I need a Car?

Hello, just started thinking about a DC trip. I know that plenty of places are walkable distances, however, there are places I want to drive to, like Gettysburg, etc. Should I get a car for the whole week, or for just a few days?

Again, I'm just getting started with my planning.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I need a Car?

No, you will not need a car for your time touring DC. It will just be an expensive burden. You will need one for the day you go to Gettysburg unless you take the Gray Line Tour. Don't know about the "etc" part. If it includes the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum out near Dulles Airport, then a car is the easiest way to do that.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I need a Car?

Group whatever you want to do outside of DC and you could rent a car for that period. I usually stay right outside DC in Arlington where it is possible to find hotels with free parking.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I need a Car?

Thank you. The "etc." part is any tour I find outside of DC. I just found out how close Mt. Vernon is to DC and I've been told I've got to go there too!

How soon do I need to make a reservation to visit the White House and/or Capitol building? I'm thinking of early May 2013 for my visit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I need a Car?

You should apply for a White House tour several months before you plan to be here in DC. If your Representative gives special tours of the Capitol, you can apply for that at the same time. If you want the usual public tour, it all depends on when you will be visiting. The tours can often be taken on a walk-in basis except during peak tourist times.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I need a Car?

Thank you ~ is there a website to apply?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I need a Car?

Here is the link for White House tour information: www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events Each member of Congress has their own website and that is where you go to find out how yours handles the requests.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I need a Car?

Thank you so much!

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I need a Car?

I really enjoyed Mount Vernon, not sure when you are going but they day I went it became very busy in the afternoon, so best to start your day there.

A bit further from DC but the Marine Corps Museum is one of my favorite museums. Can be combined with shopping at Potomac Mills.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I need a Car?

Okay, I'm reading that so many things are "within walking distance" and knowing me, I will find myself walking just one more mile to see such and such and wind up in Vermont. So, if I group all the DC stuff together and rent a car for those longer distance day trips, do I need to go back to the airport to rent a car, or are there places within the city? I will be hoofing it on my own and I might just feel safer having a car......

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I need a Car?

There are multiple rental car agencies in the city. And Reagan National Airport is just across the river.

Believe me, a car is a burden for most of the sights in the city. A couple of exceptions are the Lincoln Cottage and the National Arboretum. What places are you thinking of going that seem to be longer distances?