We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

West Virginia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip for 15-20 high school seniors to the inauguration. Most likely arrive late morning on Sunday and leave late afternoon on Monday. I have been looking at outlying areas for hotels, but unsure of what area would be the best, especially with regards to Monday transportation.

We will be traveling by bus and will there be drop off and pick up points near the mall? Or do you suggest public transport near an outlying hotel?

We will most likely have tickets for the inauguration, which I assume means a little closer access to the Capitol--if that makes any difference in where we should arrive and depart near the mall.

I appreciate your assistance.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

I think the most difficult parts of your trip is to find hotels that can accomodate your group for your dates, at a cost you are willing to pay, and at a reasonable distance to DC. In that order. You probably already know that if you have checked online for any hotel near DC.

So I would suggest you start searching for such lodging option anywhere within 60 miles of DC first. Ideally you want that hotel to be near your route, such as Rockville, Maryland. You can see more towns on Google Map by asking for driving directions from WV to DC. Right now the options are few and expensive. Once you secured your options, you can come back to this forum to ask about the pros and cons of each option. There is no point in discussing the options that are not available.

If you already have a bus, you should plan on using that to get close to the Mall.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

Shouldn't the bus company you are working with have pick-up and drop-off points already arranged? If not, it seems very shady that they would ask their customers to arrange that for them. I'd be highly skeptical of that if I were you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

Matt, I suspect they are using their own bus and driver, not some sort of prearranged excursion. But they will probably need to contact someone here in DC in order to be allowed to get very close to the venue for the ceremony. Lots of special security restrictions in place for that day.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

The bottom line is the bus won't be allowed anywhere close to the Capitol, tickets or no.

I think last time they used RFK stadium as one staging area for bus parking, along with others. But permits are needed.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

Yeah this is very tricky. There's no way you will be able to get to the Mall with a bus unless you have some kind of permit or connection---which, if the OP is asking on this forum, clearly she does not have.

I can't think of any place at all close to the Mall where there would be enough legal curb space for a bus to pull up and unload a lot of people. If you try and do that somewhere that looks like enough space but is really a bus stop for the public metrobuses, you could get a hefty ticket.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

It is no wonder OP is looking for information on bus parking. Apparently that information has not been officially released yet even though the event is less than two months away.

This from the WMATA website

"Tour Bus Drop Off

Due to space restrictions, tour buses are prohibited from discharging passengers at Metrorail stations at any time. Only authorized buses will be permitted onto Metro station property. Tour bus operators are strongly encouraged to follow the drop off procedures that will be outlined on the Washington DC Inauguration website. Detailed plans on transportation routes and parking locations will be available within the next few weeks."

and this from the PG County website.

"BUS PARKING AREAS

Designated chartered bus and motorcoach parking areas in and around Washington, DC for Inauguration Day, January 21, 2013, have not been formally announced. Within Washington, DC, bus parking in designated areas of the city will probably require a city-issued “Trip Permit”. Details to be announced."

In other words, OP is not the only one waiting for an answer on this.

The Washington DC inauguration website referred to in the WMATA posting doesn't seem to exist yet.

Hopefully the city will release some information soon.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

But I don't think the OP is a tour bus operator, or designated chartered motorcoach, so would this information even apply to her when it does get released?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

Depending on where in West Virginia the OP is from, they should look into making it a (long) day trip and take the MARC Brunswick line from Martinsburg. Here is the link to MARC's preliminary schedule:

…maryland.gov/mta-announces-preliminary-plan…

dctravel

West Virginia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

It is not a package deal with a bus company--we would book everything separate. We are coming from southeastern WV, traveling I-81 N to I-66 E. Looking at a couple of different hotel sites, there appeared to be ample and reasonably (for the time) priced lodging approximately 20-25 miles outside of Washington. I just wasn't sure coming in on 66 what we would be near as we get closer to Washington. And how far out the Metro runs.

I will do some checking with our representative's office in Washington regarding parking permits, etc.---maybe they can provide me with information, since they are providing the tickets. I assume tens of thousands of tickets are distributed, but has anyone had tickets and how close are they to the capitol? Or, probably different tickets for different areas.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: outlying hotels and transportation--inauguration

The last station on the line (Orange Line) along I-66 is Vienna, VA. You can check mapping websites or the Metro website to see where prospective hotels lay in relation to the Metro station.

www.wmata.com