We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Budget Hotels

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Low Budget Hotels

Hello:

I am looking into booking a place to stay. I'm not a wealthy person, and I'm okay with staying in Motel 6-type places. I found a chain called Extended Stays America which look pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with these places? They offer studio rooms, with full kitchen, non-smoking, free parking, free wi-fi.

I would appreciate any input on this chain. Thanks so much,

jc

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Depends on the particular location, but the one I stayed in for work (in Texas) was at least as nice as the average Motel 6.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Budget Hotels

If you are thinking of Extended Stay America for a trip to play tourist in DC, I don't believe there are any in convenient locations around this area. I have never stayed in one, so I can't give you any first-hand experience. The one in Chantilly gets good reviews, but that is too far away for a comfortable trip to DC. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57589-d230315-…

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Budget Hotels

The one on Eisenhower in Alexandria would be do able but remember if you are traveling into DC by car or metro to add in the costs of travel. If you have a large group with you each person could be as much as $7+ per day to commute on Metro or parking in the city is $20+ depending where you park.

Another suggestion would be the Americana in Crystal City. They do not have kitchens but I believe parking is included in the room price.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Thank you, but parking is already free at the hotel. I spoke with the desk clerk who said the blue line wasn't too far away. I don't know what her "far" is compared to mine, though.

Is there parking downtown? I was lead to believe there's very little parking downtown.

The locations I looked at are less than 10 miles away from the City, central. Is that too far out to be enjoyable? I also want to visit some of the Civil War battle sites in the area, hence the car.

Thanks for your help ~

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,096 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Budget Hotels

There is lots of parking downtown, but it is mostly in garages that cost money. What is difficult is any sort of street parking. And free parking, except on Sunday, is unknown.

Ten miles out can be a nightmare if you try to drive during the usual commuter rush hours. And do not plan to park at Metro parking lots unless you also plan on starting your days very early.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Budget Hotels

The nearest Metro stop may be the Eisenhower Metro Station, which is 1.2 miles away from the hotel. It is not too far distance wise. In the morning, there is a lot of traffic on Eisenhower Avenue and should be safe to walk. Depending on what time you plan to return to the hotel at night, after rush hours it can be really quiet with hardly any pedestrians, only occasional car traffic.

You may want to check with the hotel whether they have a shuttle to take you to and from the Metro station. There is a private parking lot at that Metro station which charges $7 a day.

You should also consider the time and fare from that station into DC, which varies depending on the time of travel. You can check it out here:

www.wmata.com

I think the Americana Hotel suggested above is at much better location. It is just across the river from DC.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 13:31
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Thank you ~ I just checked the Americana out and it looks pretty good! I need to check on the airfare and then book.

Here's the problem ~ I have a time share, but they don't have any properties in the D.C. area. I may be able to convert my "time" into air fare. Slightly disappointed you might say . . .

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Does anyone have input about renting a room or guesthouse, i.e.,

tripadvisor.com/RentalPropertyManager-a_mana…

found these places through Trip Advisor. Again, I don't need fancy and I do like to feel like I'm part of a neighborhood. Just a little leery of renting a room in/on someone's home/property without a recommendation.

thanks

jc

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Low Budget Hotels

And in addition to offering discount coupons in various travellers guides, the Americana provides free parking, unlike many of the other hotels in and near downtown.

Edited: 30 December 2012, 10:26
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Low Budget Hotels

If you think Americana may work, you should try to make a cancellable reservation first to ensure yourself that option. It may not be available after you finish working on the air tickets.

For visitors to DC, I would suggest that safety is more important than cost savings. There are areas in and around DC that are not as safe. Generally speaking, they are outside the areas most tourists are likely to visit or stay at so safety is usually not a concern for most tourists.

Vacation rentals are usually not in the main tourist areas nor near other hotels, that is where it gets tricky safety wise if you are not familiar with that neighborhood, block by block between the rental and the Metro station where you will have to walk.