We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Budget Hotels

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Low Budget Hotels

Hello:

I am looking into booking a place to stay. I'm not a wealthy person, and I'm okay with staying in Motel 6-type places. I found a chain called Extended Stays America which look pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with these places? They offer studio rooms, with full kitchen, non-smoking, free parking, free wi-fi.

I would appreciate any input on this chain. Thanks so much,

jc

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Low Budget Hotels

The TA site you linked to - tripadvisor.com/RentalPropertyManager-a_mana… appears to be trying to copy Air Bed & Breakfast - www.airbnb.com.

Airbnb has some good offerings, but it can take a lot of work to sort through them. They don't charge a fee to list, so there are currently over 1000 listings for "entire home/apt." in DC. A lot of people post when they only rent out occasionally, or while on vacation. Many of the listings are in inconvenient places.

The site has some good search features - you can search by map or by neighborhood, but they don't let you rank properties in order of price.

What dates are you coming?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Low Budget Hotels

The Americana Hotel sounds good to you because you're on a budget. You should also realize beside free parking it includes a simple breakfast, an easy walk to the subway and laundry facilities.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Low Budget Hotels

A few people I know that are new to the area have used Craig's list to find boarding rooms at a low cost. It's not my personal preference, though. If you are driving, highly recommend leaving your car at the hotel. DC Parking enforcement is very strict. A ticket or tow can put a damper on a vacation.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Legitimate landlords do post on Craigslist when they have a last minute cancellation etc. but will always refer you to a regular listing on VRBO.com or Homeaway.com or Airbnb.com.

If the listing is just on CL it is 100% scam. Except, possibly for inauguration, but even then, it is easy enough to post on Airbnb, so I would be careful.

Also have a realistic idea of what things cost. A 2 bedroom apt. will never rent for $70.00 a night. Best price for a good place in a good location is $99 on Airbnb (mostly studio apts.) or $125.00 on Homeaway.com.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Well, I booked my trip! I used my time share points for my plane ticket AND a car because I do plan on day excursions outside of the City. I also booked a week at the Extended Stay America on Eisenhower in Alexandria as it was the closest one still available. While I was booking and looking at hotels, the places closer to DC were being snapped up and the prices went up so I made a reservation before the prices went any higher. I still have time to make a change if need be. I guess New Years Eve was spent planning and booking vacations by a lot of people! This place also has free "grab and dash" breakfasts and laundry facilities on the premises. I'll study the parking and metro issues later.

I also put in my requests for visiting the White House and the Capitol building but because I'm a party of One, I may not get in. I am surprised by that, but I'm going for it anyway. Do you know how long it takes to find out if you get a ticket? Also, if I don't get a ticket, I can still visit the visitor centers outside, right?

I purchased Frommer's Washington, D.C. 2013 guide book and I'm really excited about my visit. Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it. I will be asking more questions, I'm sure. Thanks so much :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Anyone can get a tour of the US Capitol by going to the Capitol Visitor Center and getting a ticket. Only on the busiest days would those be all used. You will find out about your White House tour about 2 weeks before your trip. The White House Visitor Center is closed for renovation, but there is a temporary one open on the Ellipse. Neither is in the White House but about a block away. It is open to all anytime.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 00:23
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Oh, I read that I had to ask my representative for tickets. So I filled out a form for tickets for the White House and the Capitol building. So, I can just go to the Capitol and request a ticket in person?

And here's another question. You can't take anything into the buildings so are there lockers for purses, etc.? Otherwise, I just leave the hotel with my drivers license in my pocket?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,722 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Low Budget Hotels

If you get a White House tour they are very strict about what cannot be brought in with you. The Capitol does not allow food or drinks, including water, but otherwise it is normal security. No large backpacks. No lockers at the White House. If you get a pass for the house or senate gallery, they have a place where you can securely store whatever you are carrying. Nothing is allowed up there. But it is separate from the regular Capitol tour.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Low Budget Hotels

Okay, thank you :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Low Budget Hotels

JCwander, you can also check airbnb if you are looking for something other than a hotel. The properties are almost always someone's private home but I have seen pretty cheap prices.