We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Comparison

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traffic Comparison

Just looking for a comparison in traffic. How does Washington DC compare to Los Angeles traffic?

My studio is less than 10 miles away from the Mall, but mapquest says about 25 minutes to get to the Mall. Is it all traffic?

Thanks,

jc

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Comparison

Unless you are a big family, you do not want to drive to The Mall. The time it takes will depend a great deal on what time of day you try to do the drive. And, yes, 10 miles can take 25 minutes or more during rush hours.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Comparison

My morning drive into D.C. is 7.7 miles. It regularly takes me 25 to 40 minutes. And I have an easier drive than many.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Comparison

10 miles is very far when the traffic is not moving. 25 minutes sound very good during rush hour on a weekday.

Is it all traffic? I cannot tell without knowing the exact location and the route. Does it involve local traffic with lights? Does it go through any DC neighborhood with traffic camera set at 25 mph or lower? There are just too many variables.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Comparison

DC is a metropolitan area, just like LA. Traffic depends on where you are, where you're going, and the time of day. I think MapQuest allows a calculation for a traffic variable.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,428 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Comparison

"My studio is less than 10 miles away from the Mall, but mapquest says about 25 minutes to get to the Mall. Is it all traffic?"

Impossible to answer with any degree of certainty since you haven't mentioned the location.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Comparison

Moreover, why would one question MapQuest's estimate?

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic Comparison

Okay then, first ~ what time does Rush Hour start in the morning?

Second, I'm staying in Alexandria by Duke and Eisenhower, north of the 495, but south of Duke. I'd gladly walk to the nearest Metro station in the morning but am kind of nervous of walking back in the evening.

I always question Mapquest. Ha!

I just read about a SmarTrip card. Should I get one of those? I have a car but I have that for days when I'm not going into DC. I prefer to use public transportation for the "Mall" days.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic Comparison

You should get a SmarTrip card unless you think a 7-day pass would work better for you. The SmarTrip card will let you ride buses as well as Metro trains.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic Comparison

Okay, I'll look into that. It looks like the closest Metro station to me is the Van Dorn Street station. I think it says it has 361 spaces for all day and you pay on your way out with the SmarTrip card only. It's over 2 miles away and I'm a good walker, but I'm leery of walking anywhere alone at night, especially 2 miles.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic Comparison

If you stay off of I-395 and avoid rush hour ( 3pm -7pm), driving around NoVA at night should not be issue. Finding a place to park may be the problem depending where you are going (e.g., Old Town). So, I would check out the parking situation first before driving. If you park at the Metro after 10AM, you may be able to take advantage of the spaces left open due to Metro's reserved parking program.