We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Tickets

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Tickets

I'm trying to understand how the metro fares work. Do I have to pre-buy a pass with a certain amount of money on it, or can I just buy a single ride as I go? Is there an additional cost for not pre-buying?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Tickets

You do not have to "pre-buy" but if you are taking more than one trip it will save you a lot of time dealing with the farecard machines to buy enough for multiple rides. And if you use a paper farecard, instead of a SmarTrip card or pass, each trip will cost an extra $1.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 22:10
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Tickets

Unfortunately there isn't a set price for a single ride: depends if it's rush hour, changing lines, etc, etc. So just put enough money on it to last you a few rides. If you are using a paper card each time you exit a station the machine will print the amount of money left on it, so you don't have to keep it in your head.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Tickets

It's like a debit card; when you go into a station, it stores that information and when you leave the system, it calculates what it costs and subtracts the right amount. It can go below zero, but to use it again, you have to fill it up above zero again. On a bus, it subtracts when you touch the fare machine. There is a small discount when transferring from a bus to a train or a train to a bus.

If you use a paper tickets. You can buy a huge amount on a paper ticket, but it sure runs down faster (because every ride costs $1.00 more), and there are no bus-train discounts. For more info, go to

http://www.wmata.com

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
647 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Tickets

I'm really only going to be using it for less than 2 full days, so I hesitate to put more money on it than we can use. Thanks to all of you!

5. Re: Metro Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 06:18