We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycle parking around the Mall

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
Save Topic
bicycle parking around the Mall

can i park my bicycle around the mall or it isn't allowed ?

i want to view the Mall with bicycle but whrer yo park them when i want to go to attraction such linc memorial and WWII Memorial?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

Plenty of racks or pick a tree or fence or any other immovable object

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

Bikes shouldn't be locked to trees as it damages the bark. There are plenty of bike racks.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

I bicycle every weekend around Washington. You can just lock it to any light post, "No parking" sign, bicycle rack, and yes tree (though it should be a last resort), pretty much anywhere. There are light posts and "No Parking" signs at the Lincoln Memorial, WW II, Jefferson, in front of every museum and intersection.

While there is a law in DC not allowing people to bicycle on sidewalks in the downtown area (there is a map defining it somewhere on the Web), it does not apply to Park Service sidewalks, so you can ride anywhere on the Mall from the Capitol to Arlington Cemetery that you like.

And on weekends (and non-rush periods on weekdays) you can take it on the Metro (there are special wide turnstiles, and elevators available at every station. If the elevator is broken, I have just carried it up the escalator, but theoretically it's not allowed.

No bicycles on the Metro or Mall on Inauguration Day or July 4th.

The famous part of Washington is a little to big to merely walk, but not so large that you can't just get around by riding a bicycle. To me it 's the best way to see DC. And I've bicycled in NYC, Phildelphia, Baltimore, DC, Chicago, London, Oxford, San Francisco.

Really what could be better than using the bike path down the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue right toward the Capitol? And riding around right in front of the White House where no motor vehicles are allowed, but you and all the pedestrians are?

Or visiting Theodore Roosevelt Island easily, but without waiting 20 minutes for a parking space to open up (though you can't take the bicycle on the Island itself).

Or getting to Georgetown without waiting for a bus, and walking 3/4 mile?

Edited: 15 January 2013, 19:57
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

Are there bike rental places at/near the Mall?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

capital bike share is pretty much all over. http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

Sorry, everyone for the tree suggestion. I agree it should be last.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

What a great idea! I've bookmarked the link, thank you. That'll cut down on walking and be quite a time saver! I'll be going in April/May, will there be enough bikes as it's high tourist season?

jc

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,092 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

e sure you understand how DC Bikeshare works. It is made for short trips. The longer you keep one bike out of the rack, the higher the price. If it is less than 30 minutes, no coat beyond the membership fee. http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/pricing

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

Yes, I got that. I'm thinking about once I reach say like the Ford Theater, instead of walking all the way to the Lincoln Memorial, I can bike it in under 30 minutes, I'm thinking. What I was wondering is if you bike somewhere and then an hour later you come back outside and there are no bikes. Does that happen? That would put a damper on the bike idea.

jc

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,092 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

I am not a current bike rider, so I have never used Bikeshare. I know that sometimes I have seen empty bike stations, but not in a tourist area. They mostly head to downtown in the morning, so up in the neighborhoods the stations empty out. There are vans that move the bicycles around where they are needed. How things go in the tourist areas is unknown to me.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: bicycle parking around the Mall

Well, I'll just have to check it out. I sounds like a good idea. And I am a good walker in the event I can't get a bike.