We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington to Charlottesville VA over weekend of 9Feb

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Washington to Charlottesville VA over weekend of 9Feb

Hi there,

I will be visiting Washington DC for work and over the weekend (if possible same day) visit my nephew at the U of Virginia in Charlottesville.

Since I cant drive, I am trying to find convenient way to travel there and back which is reasonably priced and safe. I have looked at the Amtrak site, there seem to be only 3 (or max 4) trains a day. Are there any other options to travel?

thank you!

AA

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington to Charlottesville VA over weekend of 9Feb

Greyhound runs two buses a day to Charlottesville from DC. If they start in DC they will always leave on time. Same with Amtrak Trains. Unfortunately, most people drive to Charlottesville.

The schedule is a 9:40 AM bus arriving at 12:55 or a 5:05 PM bus arriving at 8:50 PM.

Returning buses on Saturday and Sunday leave C'ville at 4:20 AM, 8:45 AM, and 5:05 PM. I am guessing they start somewhere else and will often be late.

The buses leave DC from the back of Union Station (50 Mass. Ave, NE)

They arrive in C'ville at 310 W. Main St.

Some buses stop at the Amtrak station which is at 810 W. Main St, 5 blocks closer to the Univ. of VA.

However, in going back to Washington, I would not count on getting the bus at the Amtrak Station. I'd let that taxi take me to the Bus Depot; you're guaranteed to get on it and not miss it or have it be filled.

Charlottesville also has a local bus system. You could look it up and see how often it runs.

The University is in the area north and south of approximately "1400 W. Main St." (actually there it's called University Avenue, but it's the same street).

It's a great place, and a great way to spend a day with relatives who are students there.

Edited: 16 January 2013, 22:40
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington to Charlottesville VA over weekend of 9Feb

Just for the record: I went to graduate school there in 1974-5; the bus depot and the Amtrak station have not moved since I used them to go to DC back then.

3. Re: Washington to Charlottesville VA over weekend of 9Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 05:16