We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

I will be traveling with my daughter and want to stay with a tour company who will take us to all the places we should see. Aside from National monuments and museums, White House, Capital, I want to go to Arlington Cemetery. We will try to do a night tour on a Friday evening when we arrive. We only have 2.5 days in DC and want to capture as much of the sights in a very limited time. I want to stay with a tour company, so please any recommendations are requested for a winter tour.

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,934 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

Quite honestly, a tour company for a visit to DC is a waste of time and money. It is so easy to go to the places you want to see, spend as much time as you want to spend and then go to the next place on your list. The major sights are in a fairly compact area, are free admission and close to a Metro station. Or if you prefer, you can take a taxi. Look at this map to get an idea of DC's major sights. nps.gov/PWR/…NPS-Map-Washington-DC.pdf

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

To add to what Darrell is saying, even if you decide to do a tour one night, the National Mall is so compact you will probably see all the monuments and memorials in that one tour. After that you can go back to see other stuff you are interested in. A multi-day tour would just be a waste because a tour bus is a very inconvenient and expensive way to get around DC. Public transportation, walking and/or taxis are much better.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 21:52
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

I know which is best in March but not sure about early Feb.

Seriously, there is some added value to the tours and many people take them and enjoy them. But, I don't know anyone who has taken the same tour with different companies and each tour has its own vibe based on who your tour guide is and how much they engage you. There is probably someplace you can read reviews of the companies, maybe right here on TA but don't be surprised if none of them are comparison reviews.

Personally, I would skip the tour also and enjoy the park ranger talks for free. on the other hand there are tens of thousands of people every year who disagree with me.

Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

Conway,

Can you direct me to a website that explains the park ranger talks please.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/dc/

www.nps.gov

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

HDStripad, if you enter the dates that you will be in D.C. into the following link, you can see when there will be free "Evening with a Park Ranger " tours. In addition to these regularly scheduled tours, the park rangers posted at the various monuments and memorials give talks. (I am unaware of any schedule of these talks posted online. You usually have to check once you get to the actual memorial/monument.)

www.nps.gov/findapark/event-search.htm…

7. Re: What is the best tour company to use in DC in early Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 05:18