We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miramar, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

My family of 5 (including 3 teenagers) is traveling to the DC area for a week the end of June. We are open to staying outside of DC as long as it is an easy commute on the Metro. We would prefer some privacy for the adults so I have mostly been considering VRBO or residence inn type places, but at this point I am completely overwhelmed! I would appreciate any suggestions on good areas to look at or specific places to stay. We would like to stay around $200 a night. could be more if amenities (free breakfast etc) could offset some cost.

We are mostly concerned about staying somewhere safe, as we will probably be going in and out late.

Miramar, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

Forgot to add- we are planning on driving our own car so parking is a consideration.. we are fine parking it for the week and using public transportation. Also we don't care if there is a swimming pool or things like that, plan on using the room to sleep.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,596 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

You will not see any hotels in unsafe locations recommended on this forum. And there aren't many hotels that fit that description anyway.

The best located Residence Inn is on P Street NW near Dupont Circle. marriott.com/hotels/… There are two others in the city.

Keep in mind that if you stay out near the ends of the Metro, it can cost as much as $12 per person for the round-trip ride into DC.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

With 3 teenagers for a week, you will really appreciate the extra space and kitchen of a vacation rental apt. $200 a night is a bit tight for a 2 bedroom, but there are some good large 1 bedroom apts. with sofa bed & air bed in the living room.

On VRBO & Homeaway, you can search by neighborhood - Columbia Heights, Dupont Circle, Capitol Hill - have the most listings for a party of 5. You can also search by number of reviews, which is a good idea. Click first thing on the map. If there is no map, the owner might be hoping to "fudge" the location or distance to Metro.

Feel free to post the listing number (the accurate listing number) of any property you are considering, and we can tell you more.

Miramar, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

Found 2 that look interesting, let me know what you think for location etc.

FlipKey listing #FK181866 & #FK314871

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,596 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

Dupont Circle would be very much more convenient than North Bethesda. Too bad you don't have exact addresses.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

The Bethesda apt. is pretty far out and more suburban. Dupont looks nice, but the only vague map shows it could be up by Florida Ave. - not bad but 7-10 min. walk to metro.

Muskegon Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

I think you need to consider parking with your choices. Consider the holiday inn at Roslyn. The residence inn crystal city. Parking in DC can very easily cost you more than any savings in the city.

8. Re: Need space for 5 for a week.. Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 06:17