We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip DC to Florida..

Salem, Oregon...
Level Contributor
12 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip DC to Florida..

Hi,

we were thinking about going to DC in May and then thought what about road trip all the way down to Florida! I have heard of people doing this.

I am from West coast so I dont know anything about East coast..

How many days do you recomend for a trip like this for the best time and what major stops should we see and what Towns to stay night I

Thank you.:)

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

It depends on how much time you have. You have to decide what you want to do and see based on the time you have. You will have more success posting a question like this in the road trip forum or posting in each state and asking what there is see and do in each state based on the time you have.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

You're taking about somewhere around 1,000 miles (give or take depending upon how far south you want to go).

I guess you could break this up any number of ways but as someone who has done this journey a few dozen times and tries to find a place or two to stop on the way I would say places to consider seeing not too far off of 95 would include:

Richmond, VA; Raleigh, Rocky Mount or Wilson, NC (if only just for BBQ); Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA (maybe stay a few days between the two nearby cities) and St. Augustine, FL.

Maybe a night or two in Richmond; spend one night on the road on your way to Charleston staying a night or two and a couple nights in Savannah.

May's good - avoid July/August.

Key West is pretty unique as well but might be hot in May and that is a LONG ride.

Car rental drop off fees might be staggering.

Salem, Oregon...
Level Contributor
12 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

Awesome, thank you very much! We are both self employed / no kids yet so we can take a lot Of time off if we save for it ;)

I wonder if i could take train part way And then car rental? Maybe that help with drop off Price..

Do you guys like a prefer a certain car rental company ?

Maryland
Level Contributor
584 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

Based on my experience driving from Miami to DC once (I'll never do it again), if you are willing to drive your own car, I'd recommend taking the Autotrain down and driving back, or vice versa. The places mentioned, particularly Charleston and Savannah, are great, but I-95 is an incredibly crowded, boring highway. You get on the Autotrain in Lorton, VA (just south of DC) and get off just north of Orlando, in Sanford. Great train--comfortable seats, old-fashioned dining car, sleepers available should you want one, but we found the seats comfortable enough for sleeping.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

Yes, the Auto-train gets a much higher customer satisfaction rating than other Amtrak routes. It theoretically goes non-stop the whole way, although there may be a stop or two to yield to freight trains which have right of way. You get a free decanter of wine, and a movie if you choose.

6. Re: Road trip DC to Florida..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:16