We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baltimore/DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Baltimore/DC

I have read the "how do I get to the airport" post under Top Questions but am unclear on some things.

I have an evening event to attend in Baltimore but my other business will be in the DC area. The one rail going to Baltimore looks to be a commuter rail. What is the option for returning to DC later in the evening? Would it be better to change hotels and spend the night in Baltimore?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baltimore/DC

After the last MARC train out of Baltimore/Penn Station (9:30 pm), Amtrak provides service to DC on the same line.until 12:40 am.

To answer the second part of your question--I'd lean towards Baltimore, depending on how late you're talking about finishing in Baltimore, how early you need to get started the next day in DC, and who's paying the expense. The last thing I'd want to do late at night is spend an extra hour getting to DC, then transfering to a hotel (if it isn't close to Union Station) only to face a hotel expense that's likely more expensive than Baltimore.

If your business in Baltimore is in the Inner Harbor area and you choose a hotel there, you have the added option the next morning (Monday-Friday) of taking a MARC train from Camden Station, which is an easy walk from most of the area. Penn Station, you'll probably want to take a taxi.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baltimore/DC

Depending on what time I have to be up the next day may determine if I wanted to be in DC or not (and whether I want to schep my stuff between cities). Otherwise, you have the answer above.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baltimore/DC

The option you're looking at would be checking out of your DC hotel, going to Baltimore for one night, and then returning to DC, right? If that is the case, what about asking your DC hotel to store most of your bags overnight and traveling to Baltimore with just an overnight bag?

Is renting a car and driving out of the question? Honestly, I think that would be a better option than the train.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baltimore/DC

If the only places you need to visit are BWI, the inner harbor area in Baltimore, and downtown D.C., and if you are moving between these places on weekdays, then I disagree rather strongly with the idea of renting a car. MARC rail between BWI, Baltimore, and DC is easy to use and relatively cheap. Renting a car is time consuming, more expensive (particularly after you factor in parking), and puts you in the teeth of terrible traffic.

That all changes if you need to visit any suburban destinations, or if you have to travel at times the trains don't run. In those situations a rental car might be the more efficient choice.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baltimore/DC

Thanks for all the help. I love coming to DC.

6. Re: Baltimore/DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:18