We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel advice---please!

Pennsylvania
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel advice---please!

My wife and two children (14,12) are blindly headed to D.C. this weekend. Please help me pick a hotel that is the most convenient (walking distance) to the D.C. attractions. Money is not an issue. I was considering the Willard Intercontinental but am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel advice---please!

If money is no object, I'd go with the Hay Adams. It's probably the best hotel in the city and across the street from the White House. Very luxurious.

The Willard is also very nice - Also, check out the JW Marriott. It's not as nice as some other "JW's" I've been to, but is right next to the Mall - it's also across the street from the Willard.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel advice---please!

You may also want to try the Hotel Monaco. The neighborhood offers lots of family friendly dining options and is within walking distance of the National Mall. They can even have a goldfish delivered to the room for their stay. Hope they enjoy their stay!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel advice---please!

If your family enjoys luxury and would appreciate the proximity to the White House, then I agree wholeheartedly with the Hay Adams suggestion. I personally think its thrilling whenever I get close to the White House, but this might not be the case for your family.

Since the metro system is so wonderful, you might consider other options that are close to metro stations. Again this is a personal opinion: I think using the metro is part of the fun.

You might consider the Dupont Circle area. I have never been there with teenagers, but it seems to me as if it would be appealing to that age. Any age, for that matter!

Other posters have suggested the Georgetown area. You might try searching for those threads.

Best wishes for a great trip.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel advice---please!

Just down the block from the Hay Adams on 16th St. is the St. Regis. You'll get starwood points, if you care about that.

Have fun and enjoy the city!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel advice---please!

Whichever hotel you choose, read the reviews posted here on TA under "hotels". It will help you come to an informed decision. If money is not an issue, then consider the Sofitel, Hay Adams, Four Seasons, The Willard and the Ritz.

Pennsylvania
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel advice---please!

Unfortunately the Hay Adams was not available, so I booked the Willard Intercontinental. Are there any must try restaurants close to my hotel or in Chinatown. Looks like wet weather in D.C. the next 5 days, any reccomendations for sightseeing in the rain?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel advice---please!

For a rainy day, you may want to take one of the hop on/off bus tours so you don't have to walk as much - or just plan to spend lots of time at Air and Space and the Natural History Museum.

For food the whole family may enjoy, I'd recommend TenPenh at 10th and Penn and Old Ebbitt Grill at 15th and G (both near the hotel). In Chinatown/Penn Quarter, I'd recommend Austin Grill at 7th and E, Zaytinya at 9th and G, Matchbox near 7th and H. For the kids, there's an ESPN Zone at 11th and E or a Hard Rock Cafe at 10th and E. There's also a movie theater and bowling in Chinatown and a Clyde's restaurant next door that may also be a good choice near 7th and H. Hope this helps.

Pennsylvania
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel advice---please!

Thanks Mopsy, that's a great help.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel advice---please!

And here's a useful trip report from somebody who traveled to DC with teens in tow and what they found interesting: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k591233…