We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

My family has an early international flight out of D.C. in late March and would like to find a hotel that will permit us to stay the night before our flight departs and use their parking lot for the week (with a shuttle to and from the airport). Can anyone recommend good options for this close to Reagan International? We live close enough that we could drive that morning if the rates are too high but would love not to have to haul over so early in the a.m.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

Reagan is not an international airport. Are you sure you are asking about the correct airport? It does have flights to Canada though.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

We are flying to Belize out of Reagan - National I guess. They also have flights to Rome so I am not sure why it is Reagan National!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

DCA has flights to Rome???

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

Not really, but you can put in a search to an international destination from DCA and they'll return pricing and itinerary just as if DCA were an international airport. The first stop, of course, is a change of planes at a real U.S. international airport for the formal international documentation check and re-submission of luggage.

I got a great deal to England a few years ago leaving from DCA ($200 less than any flights from IAD or BWI)--came up using "WAS" (all airports) as the originating airport. I went through the usual international stuff with the plane change in Boston. The DCA counter agent for American did however check to make sure I had a passport so that I wouldn't have an issue at Logan.

The lesson for those flying into and out of Washington is to use the WAS code, even if logic for an international flight suggests otherwise. By definition there will be a plane change in the U.S. to get you to DCA, but you may find some savings.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 19:36
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

The National vs. International airport designation has to do with whether the airport has immigration and customs facilities for inbound flights. Reagan doesn't. All flights coming into Reagan either depart from a U.S. airport or an airport outside the U.S. that has U.S. immigration and customs personnel stationed at the airport to clear passengers before they leave that airport. The only ones I am aware of that fall into that category are Nassau in the Bahamas and various airports in Canada.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

Of course, no one is helping Torph find a hotel that will let him park while away in Belize. The long-term lots at National are not too expensive. So maybe hotels nearby don't offer the option. Many hotels nearby, unlike out at Dulles, charge by the day for parking for people staying in their hotel. It is a very urban area with good Metro access, so you may not find anything better than the long-term lots at Reagan Washington National Airport. visitingdc.com/airport/reagan-national-airpo…

Maryland
Level Contributor
581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

I've only used the park-sleep-fly packages when flying out of BWI and IAD so can't recommend anything specific, but here are a couple of links:

parksleepflyhotels.com/washingtonreagan.htm

comfortinnarlington.com/special-pkg/park-and…

hotelarlingtonva.com/special-pkg/airport-shu…

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

I think the last 2 folks are correct -- deals to be had around BWI and IAD for sleep-park-fly but DCA is located in prime territory so my better option is the old wake-park-fly one! Thanks all.

9. Re: DCA Airport Hotels - Stay and Fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:18