We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking all those who have come before!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Asking all those who have come before!

Hi,

I'm currently planning a trip to Washington for January 2014. (yes it's early but when traveling so far I like to be organized)

My budget is mid range, would love to snap up a bargain though and am wondering if I left the accommodation booking until a week or so before would I be more likely to get a good deal since I have read that it's the quiet season?

I was looking at the Kimpton properties, they look fun and since I'll be traveling alone I would like to keep the rooms to around $200 a night, less if I find a bargain?

I love my history and museums and was wondering would 6 days give me a good grasp of Washington? I do realize that I would need years to see it all properly.

Thank you for your time, Karen

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Assuming you aren't coming on New Year's Eve, then yes waiting until the last minute might get you a great deal. Kimpton offers last minute rates through its website for its inTouch members that are only bookable 7 days or less in advance. The rates seem to be between about $99 and $150 for the DC area Kimptons, but all of their hotels are not available at all times.

Even if you can't get a Kimpton, finding a nice hotel at or under $200 a night in January should be possible. My advice would be to wait until three or four months out, and book the best refundable deal you can find. Then check periodically for better deals. There is no shame in switching hotels a couple times as your trip approaches.

Six days is a good length for an in depth visit. You should be able to see everything you want to see, and do so at a less hectic pace.

sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Thank you so much for your help, I contacted the Donovan hotel via email and was amazed by the high standard of customer service, got a great rate $160 including taxes so I have booked. Lets just hope that the hotel is as good as the staff I have dealt with.

Have also decided to do the 6 days as I really would like the time to see the museums and monuments without being rushed.

Thanks again

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Have you considered vacation rental apartments? Especially for a 6 day visit. In Jan. you will find reduced winter rates with many options under $150.00. Check the websites Homeaway dot com and VRBO dot com - particularly the neighborhoods of Columbia Heights & Dupont Circle.

Since you're traveling alone, you might also look at Airbnb dot com - it can be harder to sort through because of too many part-time listings, and probably unlikely to book this far ahead, but they do have lots of good options under $100/night - less if you want a private room in someone's home.

richmond
Level Contributor
905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Check Travelzoo. We have twice stayed at the Donovan House for $129 plus breakfast and parking. Become an Intouch member and a few days before check in you will get an email asking you if you want an upgrade to a premier room for $7 or a suite for $24. Intouch also gets you free wifi. I really would wait to book.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Nice choice of Kimpton Hotels. I'm 100% anti-Apartment for the average tourist, they're just impractically bothersome. I don't trust people, period. (No offense)

If you don't mind my asking, what are the exact dates of your trip? Ill take a look and maybe ill find something else for you to consider, or even a better deal!

sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Thank you again for the advice, I am not keen on apartment rentals considering it is just me, I am looking forward to having someone making the bed and the little things that are all part of a holiday. I'm aware that it could save me a bit but I really enjoy the fact that after a long day sight seeing and no doubt walking heaps that I can come in to a beautifully tidied, modern hotel room. I certainly don't have maid service to make up my room at home (if only).

My dates are 11 Jan 2014 to 16 Jan. Then it will be time to return to reality via a 23+ hour trek home.

If you think I could do better I am certainly open for suggestions. My main priorites are that its close to metro, walkable if weather is good, some choice of cafe's etc.. I like the idea of the Donovan due to its quirkiness and the restaurant onsite seems to be pretty good, going by reviews.. I don't care if its not super close to the mall, I am a fan of walking around to see a bit of a city when I visit it. Sometimes the sidestreets can be the most memorable.

thanks again

richmond
Level Contributor
905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Exploring,

Donovan is walkable to the mall and the DC Circulator buses are very close. You will enjoy the nightly wine hour. Great way to meet people to chat with. The drugstore across the street is 24 hr is very convenient sort of like a mini mart. There is another restaurant nearby called Lincoln that has a modern vibe like Zentan.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Here are some Kimpton deals I found for your dates...none of these are prepaid so you can cancel up to 3 days before you arrive. I ranked them in order with my favorite deal first.

Hotel Palomar DC - $109 per night!

Hotel Monaco DC - $127 per night!

The George - $114 per night!

Donovan House - $127 per night incl. breakfast!

Topaz Hotel - $137 per night incl. breakfast!

Hotels Madera - $137 per night!

Hotel Helix - $114 per night!

I think rebooking may be a good idea. Let me know which deal interests you most and I will provide booking instructions!

sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

thanks for the tip pghpeople, will look out for the Lincoln, and the nightly wine hour does sound good.

Arlingtonman1, I would love to know the site you found donovan house for that price, although I guess once tax is added it won't work out too much cheaper? My deal that I got with going to Donovan house directly included the breakfast for $1.

Thank you all once again for being so helpful. The Washington advisers are great!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Asking all those who have come before!

Sure. That is from the website lastminutetravel.com --- which is in name only, you can use it for travel any time!

If you have an ipad or iPhone (something with an iOS operating system), use safari and it will tell you the hotel identities...seems their website isn't optimized for iOS).

If not, no big deal. Just follow these instructions.

Simply enter your dates, 1 adult, 0 children and search. A list of results will come up. You're going to look for a hotel with these specifics:

4-star hotel 4.6 miles to the airport, rated 4.0 on tripadvisor based on 233 reviews (that is key) --- rate is $127/night and it says free breakfast for two. If you are familiar with Donovan House (which you appear to be), feel free to click on pictures and you should see several that match it well.

The total with tax and fees comes to $724.20. Over $100 less than what I think you're paying now ($835.35?)