We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

Western Washington...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

We are planning our first trip to DC in September. Is it crazy to consider staying outside the DC metro area to save $$ in hotel bills?? Will we end up spending the money anyway just GETTING to DC? HELP!!!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

Depends on how far out you stay. Some parts of Arlington such as Rosslyn, Crystal City, and Pentagon City are just a few metro stops into the tourist areas and in some cases are closer than downtown DC hotels.

You can look at the metro web site for times and fares from station to station.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

You can click on a stop and get fares and timeframes to get from one place to another.

What areas were you considering??

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

Also, the hotels near the King St. metro -- Embassy Suites, Hilton, Residence Inn, and Hampton Inn, are extremely convenient with a good range of restaurants and shops for time not in DC.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

How much do you want to spend per night?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
222 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

Not sure how long you are staying, but the metro offers multi-day passes at a resonable rate. We bought 7 day passes last summer for $32.50 which allowed us unlimited travel during peak and off-peak hours. Even if you stay in DC, you may still need to ride the metro to get around to all the sites.

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

Hello mizsuzee;

I'm no expert but just back from DC and I stayed in Arlington and it was very easy to use the metro (1.50 anywhere)to major sites. think cheaper to stay outside DC, just the tax difference is like 5%. I stayed at Ritz Pentagon, but there were other Hotels near by. Pentagon City Mall is there in Arlington, and it has a metro right there and the mall is huge has a theatre and plenty of shops and places to eat.

I found DC very expensive.I'm sure if I had a tight budget I could do it. But if You have a Family I would use any advice My TA People could give Me.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

We stayed at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima. It was under $100.00 a night and two blocks from the Metro. It is a older motel but we found we just slept there. Also, get the Metro pass. If you are there for several days, it is worth it.

Plus, call your congressman. They can provide you with tours of the Capital by their staff. And they can get you tickets to BEP and the Archives. You will not have to wait in a early morning line for them

Nevada
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

No its not crazy to stay outside the DC area as long as the hotel has access to a nearby METRO station.

We just returned from a 7 day trip to DC where we relied exclusively on public transportation. We stayed at the Crystal City Embassy Suites in Arlington. They have a shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro (about 2-3 blocks away) twice every hour at 5 minutes and 35 minutes past the hour. The metro was a 15-20 minute ride into DC. We used it every day to and from the metro.

We bought the 7 day short trip pass for the Metro and definitely got our money's worth!! We even went to Mount Vernon, the Zoo and the National Cathedral using the Metro & Metrobuses and it was easy, convenient and inexpensive.

8. Re: Crazy to stay outside DC when visiting DC???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 02:18