We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Harbor location

Boston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
National Harbor location

I am torn weather to stay in Old Town Alexandria or National Harbor. Which is easier to get in and out of Washington DC? I do have a great deal at the Aloft in National Harbor so don't know if it is worth spending hundreds more to go to Old Town.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Harbor location

A quick search of this forum on "harbor" would have found many topics about National Harbor and what an inconvenient place it is. Cross National Harbor off you list of possible places to stay as a tourist in DC. Very poor transportation options.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Harbor location

If your goal is to explore D.C., you want nothing to do with National Harbor as a place to stay. Even Old Town Alexandria isn't terrific from a transport perspective, but at least you have multiple Metro stations in Old Town which helps a bit.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
743 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Harbor location

I echo the thoughts of previous posters - National Harbor is a remote village, a sort of artificial world created for conferencegoers. If what you want is to explore DC, Old Town is better - just make sure you really are staying IN Old Town, close to the King Street Metro station - just b/c the hotel has "Old Town" in the name doesn't mean it really is in Old Town and close to the King Street Metro. Downtown DC itself is even better, of course, if you can find a hotel that suits your budget. The Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington is another close-in Virginia suburb to consider.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Harbor location

I am not as adamant against NH as others. In fact, I happen to lije the area. If you have a car, then short ride into city.

and you can get to city with water taxi to Old town and metro. so depending on time of year and budget and how much you value time over money, then either can be a reasoned choice to make.

read the reviews of other tourists.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Harbor location

I don't know how much you need to save to justify having to spend 3-4 hrs in public transit to and from NH each day to DC. And it may be a short ride into a city, but it's much better to be in the city without the (expensive) hassle of trying to park a car!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Harbor location

FYI

NH has a FREE courtesy shuttle to take people to

Off-Site Destinations

King Street Metro Station (VA)

Old Post Office Pavilion (D.C.)

Union Station (D.C.)

nationalharbor.com/national-harbor-courtesy-…

This is in addition to the water taxi. I don't know if this is a regular route or if you call. Suggest contacting NH directly for this info.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Harbor location

Will you have a car at NH? How much will they charge you to park it? If you have a car, parking is reasonable and you don't mind driving ito DC, then I think it can work (you can park at Union Station for around $20 in DC).

Shuttle might work as well but no idea of the schedule or what happens if it's full.

Other forms of public transportation are all less than ideal.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National Harbor location

I'm biased, but Alexandria is so much nicer for a vacation.

National Harbor is just a conference center/shopping center in Oxon Hill MD. The only connection to DC is in its advertising. There is a reason it's hotel rates are so low and Time shares so cheap to redeem. No outstanding restaurants like in Alexandria or DC. Chain stores for shopping. Nothing to do at night unlike bustling exciting King Street .

The courtesy shuttle is rather new and according to their schedule, takes one full hour to get you from NH to downtown DC at the Post office pavilion.

In keeping with NH's misleading advertisements on its convenience to Alexandria or DC, the shuttle simply skips King Street metro entirely all day Saturday and Sunday and during the week only runs during rush hour to King Street and stops. The first shuttle to DC is not until 10 am and if you miss it or if its full (subject to availability) then you have to wait a full hour and a half until 11:30 for the next one.

nationalharbor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/0…

But I could not find a schedule for a shuttle to take you back and do not know if there is one. It may simply deadhead back to NH.

So bring a good book to read while you spend your vacation on shuttles and buses if you stay at NH.

Charm

Edited: 24 February 2013, 10:59
9. Re: National Harbor location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:17