We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Hey,

My boyfriend and I will be starting a fly drive holiday in Washington in September. We are from the u.k. so apart from the obvious attractions of Washington i.e. Whitehouse etc we were wondering if anyone could suggest any more must see places. We will only be in Washington 3 days so we want to make the most of our time there. We love good restaurants and bars so any advice would be gratefully received. We are also planning on going to a baseball game at Nationals park, so advice on places to stay etc would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

This forum is filled with advice about picking a hotel and deciding on what to see. You should read some of those topics. Also note the Things ro Do link to the left and the Top Questions at the top right on this page.

Note that it is all but impossible for non-US citizens to get a tour of the White House.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,503 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Be sure to co-ordinate your visit to D.C. when the Nats are playing at home in September: Sept 1st and Sept. 13th - 22nd

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Hi, welcome (soon!) to DC. I think you'll want to maximize your DC-specific experiences in your 3 days. If you like to bicycle, rent a bike at Union Station and use it to ride down The Mall, which is the long rectangular lawn that runs from the foot of the Capitol building all the way to the Lincoln Memorial. All along The Mall are wonderful museums and galleries, all of which are free and open daily.

I would suggest:

* a free guided tour of the U.S. Capitol building. You can sign up for one at the National Capitol Visitor's Center, which is below the Capitol building.

* across the street from the Capitol is the gorgeous LIbrary of Congress, initially created with a donation of books from Jefferson (the 3rd president of the United States.) The old building (Jefferson Building) is gorgeous with frescoes and murals. You can get free daily tours of the building.

* Hop your bike and ride down the Mall from the Capitol, stopping in at museums and art galleries that strike your fancy along the way. For a uniquely American museum, visit the American Indian Museum, which stands opposite the National Gallery of Art. Again, both are free and open daily.

* Tour the monuments on the Mall, either by bike, by foot, or get a hop-on, hop-off bus that starts at Union Station and goes around the city with drop-off points along the way. You can hop off and see something and then pick up the next bus that goes by. You should defnitely see the Viet Nam Memorial and across the way from it, the haunting Korean War monument. Both sit right below the Lincoln Memorial, which is a gorgeous monument to Abraham Lincoln. Continue past the Lincoln Memorial, to the left of it as you face it, and go to the FDR Memorial, a beautiful monument with water and carvings dedicated to Roosevelt.

* The National Gallery of Art's Outdoor Sculpture Garden has free jazz concerts on Friday nights into early September. It's a fun place to sit outside among art and hear great music. The Kennedy Center also has free, daily concerts on its Millennium Stage. It's a great chance to go inside the big performing arts complex and catch great entertainment - -they also sell half-price drinks and light snacks.

* Join www.goldstar.com, which is a website that offers deeply discounted tickets to theater, music, tours, etc. It's free to join, and you can pick up great tickets to a play, a concert, or a walking tour, or a boat tour down the Potomac while you're here.

* If you're here on a weekend, go to Eastern Market on Capitol Hill. It's a great weekend outdoor arts and crafts scene with tons of booths selling jewelry, art, you name it. The Market itself sells quality meats, cheese, baked goods, fresh veg and fruit. Once you leave the Market, you can walk a block to 8th Street, which has become a foodies delight with restaurants of all different kinds lining 8th Street SE (Called Barracks Row.) Eastern Market metro stop will pop you right out into the middle of it.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

DC the Insider walking tour. Highly recommended!

Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Mamacoast - I appreciated your response to the UK couple - very helpful for me as well. There seems to be several reply posts that say look on the side of the page for more info - rather than telling you the info - problem is my trip advisor app on my gen 1 iPad doesn't have that side bar - and I would much rather have more up do date responses (2013) as so much changes. We have 2 major goals - Holocaust Museum and White House, and anything else we can fit in. March 20 and 21st are our dates and we would like to find a hotel where we can do the hop on hop off bus nearby. I am getting overwhelmed by all the hotels - any suggestions ? Just one night so we could go to $300 if it's easy to get to with a nice restaurant. Thanks!!

BCB

Edited: 26 February 2013, 02:26
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Actually, nothing much changes in DC for the basic tourist scene. You can look at any tour guide 10 years old in the library. Every place you could possibly want to go has a website that you can access from even so primitive a device as an Ipad 1. Check the Washington Post online on any device for specific latest attractions/exhibits etc. Plenty of online sites for hotels too.

Even if you can't access the sidebar on the main screen, you can always type something into the search box and see all previous responses to your question.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
95 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

A lot has changed in DC for even the basic tourist in the past 10 years. DC has undergone a lot of changes in the last year...let alone 10 years. Can't get to the top of the Wasington Monument, Chidren's Museum has reopened, theatre companies like Woolly Mammoth and Signature Theatre have moved to their own spaces. The Newseum has been open for four years. The Smithsonian American Indian museum opened years ago. For entertainment the U Street Corridor and H Street are the "it" places, you need more that two hands to count the celebrity chef restuarants. Andthe list goes on. So be sure to get an up-to-date guidebook, check trip advisor, etc. and good for you for starting to plan early.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Hi there, the hop-on,hop-off bus makes stops all over DC, including one I'm familiar with at Union Station, which is on Capitol Hill. The website for the bus company is: www.bigbustours.com/opentopsightseeing.aspx

You could stay in a hotel on Capitol Hill to be near the bus, and also near Union Station, which has a subway stop (on the red line) and therefore easy access to all points in the city. Union Station also has a huge fast food court on the lower level, and a couple of nice restaurants on the ground floor (B. Smith's, which is southern cooking, and Thunder Grill, which is Mexican/Salvadorean.) One block from Union Station is Capitol City Brewery, which is a nice burgers-and-beers place. There are also many other restaurants around the area.

A nice hotel 4 blocks from Union Station is the Liaison Hotel. Website is www.affinia.com/Washington-DC-Hotel.aspx… It's pricey, though, and might eat through your travel budget. Another less expensive option is a Holiday Inn very near The Mall, where all of the Smithsonian Museums are located. I've had family stay there, and it's plain but fine for one or two nights. It's located near the Air and Space Museum, but there aren't many dining options around it. Website ishttp://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/washington/wassm/hoteldetail. Another nice independent hotel is Capitol Hill Hotel, located two blocks from the Capitol South metro station, which is on the orange and blue lines, which are the lines that go to the Holocaust Museum. It's in a nice commercial and residential area of the Hill, and near nice restaurants on Pennsylvania Avenue or a bit further away on 8th Street SE. The hotel is at the corner of 2nd and C Streets, SE. For reference, Pennsylvania Avenue is one block north of it. Or to go to any of the nice restaurants along 8th Street SE, you would walk from 2nd to 3rd to 4th . . . until you come to 8th. Website for the hotel is : http://capitolhillhotel-dc.com/ The 8th Street restaurants are near DC's historic Eastern Market, and there is also a subway stop right there that is on the blue and orange lines. Since I live on Capitol Hill, I tend to know the restaurants and hotel options best in my neighborhood.

If you don't feel like eating on the Hill, a fun place to eat that is only a few blocks from the White House is Old Ebbit Grill. It's the oldest continually operating "Tavern" in DC, and many presidents have dined there, and a few stayed there when it was also an inn. It's moderately priced and a DC institution and very pretty inside.

Hope this helps!

http://capitolhillhotel-dc.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Mamacoast has a few things wrong, or out of date. The Capitol City Brewing Company near Union Station closed a year or so ago. The last I heard they plan to open a new location inside Union Station, but it hasn't happened yet.

And while Old Ebbitt Grill may be the oldest name operating in DC, it is on at least its third location. The current place has been there maybe 25 years or so. And for my money, it is too busy and chaotic to be nice. It is the same group as any Clyde's or The Hamilton around the corner. Those places have a similar menu, but at more comfortable.

Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington D.C. in 3 days Advice please.

Saving and printing your suggestions - thanks!