We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

Hi, does anybody local or otherwise have any information as to when we might expect the cherry blossoms to be blooming this year? I've seen the list of the peak bloom times from the most recent years, but am curious if anybody knows if we can expect an early vs. late vs. normal bloom this year based on the weather patterns this year. I'm likely heading to D.C. around March 14th and will return around the 19th, and am really hoping to get some good cherry blossom photographs while I'm there. I realize this period is earlier than typical peak bloom, athough it was March 20th last year. Anyway, if anybody knows what we can expect this year, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

The Park Service has not issued their prediction yet. But so far, March is colder than usual, so an early bloom seems unlikely. nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/about/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

The Park Service will announce their first prediction today. Be prepared for that to change as the month goes on, but it will give a good idea of when peak blooming could be this year.

Atlantic City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

I'm interested also to know the timeline of the blooming of the cherry blossoms. My principal wants to take our entire school to DC and she hopes the students will see this renouned event. Can someone let me know so we can plan our school trip? Thanks in advance. mborkowski@oceansidecharter.com

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

Thanks for the info, Darrell. I'll look for the NPS report today. That's a bummer if the weather is not going to cooperate with my trip, but we'll see!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,050 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

" Washington's famous cherry trees blooms are expected to be at their best between March 26 and March 30. "

wtop.com/109/3239539/Peak-cherry-blossom-blo…

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

Thanks for the link with the updated info. So for those of you familiar with the bloom, if the peak is between March 26th and the 30th, is there a chance that I'd get to see at least some of them blooming somewhere around the 18th or so, or do they really only start fully blooming shortly before the peak?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,050 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

There's just no way of telling, sorry. It's weeks away and the forecast is subject to adjustment. A few cold days and they push the date back...a couple of warm and sunny days and they move it up...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

A full week before peak it seems unlikely much will be visible around the Tidal Basin. But as I posted on another topic, Scott Circle at 16th and N Streets NW has a grove of cherry trees that usually bloom a bit earlier than those around the Tidal Basin. You might want to pass by there to get a little idea of what things look like.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

If you look at this thread from last year, on March 14 they revised the predicted peak (which had been March 24) back to March 20. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k524145… That was also the days the blooms really started to come out.

If you look at this thread you'll see the trees went from not really blooming to peak in about 6 days, and then went to full green within about 6 days after that. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k525457…

What can you take from that for this year? Not much, except that seeing blooms after the first few days of April remains very unlikely. Ultimately it's all going to depend on the weather.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cherry Blossoms: Timing of Bloom?

So when they say that the peak date may move up a bit with a period of warm weather or move back a bit with a period of cold weather, what temperatures are considered "cold" or "warm"? And does that only apply to the weather within a few days of that time or does it apply to any period between now and then? Looking at the 10-day weather forecast for DC, other than the projected snow for tomorrow, the next week or so looks considerably warmer, with highs in the mid-50's most days. Is that considered warm enough to advance the peak bloom estimate or not? Just curious, thanks as always!