We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

Pittsburg, Kansas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

We are traveling to DC by car either the 3rd or 4th week of April. I was originally looking for hotels in the Alexandria area near the Metro, but began reading about the high cost of nightly parking. This can certainly add up over a 5 night stay.

We're wondering whether it might be cheaper (both in hotel rates, and parking fees) to stay further out and travel in by train in order to save on the daily parking rate?

Would the cost of the train offset the savings?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

The transportation into DC can be expensive. Round-trip Metro fares from some of the furthest stations can be as high as $12 per person. Since you can park for the day for under $30, driving makes economic sense. Not to mention the agony of long commute rides in crowded Metro cars unless you wait until after peak hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

Aside from the money aspect, think about all the time wasted when you stay further out. Not to mention how draining after a long day.

Consider signing up with hotels' guest rewards programs. They sometimes offer free parking deals.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

What is your budget per night including parking? How many people? This will help us make some suggestions for you.

Pittsburg, Kansas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

There are only two of us, no children. We are completely flexible, and don't need to travel during peak commute times.

Our budget is in the $150/night range. Is it possible to drive to the first Metro stop and park the car there for the day?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,066 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

The parking lots at and near the ends of the Metro lines fill up very early on workdays. There are about 500,000 people who commute into DC each day according to yesterday's news report. So having a place to stay within walking distance to a Metro station is a better option.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

The Americana offers free parking and is near a Metro Station. Its a basic no frills hotel and is cheaper than your budget. I have stayed there and enjoyed it. I think you would be happier staying there than trying any combo of driving to a Metro Station and parking.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,369 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

Another hotel near D.C. that offers free parking is the Best Western Iwo Jima. It is within walking distance of the Rosslyn Metro station. I have stayed here and would recommend it. Their rates for April appear to be close to your range.

Transportation time from the Rosslyn Station to the Smithsonian Station is about 10 minutes.

(Note: Another Rosslyn hotel that offers free parking is the Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, but their April rates are well outside your budget.)

8. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 22:05
Hiram, Georgia
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

I have been wondering the same thing while planning my trip. Thanks ftchoiniere for The Americana recommendation! At $63 per night, near a metro stop and free parking I don't think I will find a better deal haha. Any reason why this wouldn't be a great choice?

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheaper to Stay Further Out of Town?

Too bad Tripadvisor doesn't want you to know all your options! They removed my post where I suggested you could find a vacation rental apartment with free parking in the city near metro for your budget.