We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convention Center Area

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Convention Center Area

Okay, my concerns over being far away from Metro stations and having to park super early in the a.m. in the Metro lots are causing me to look into new lodging options. What is the area like around the DC Convention Center? I found a motel 6 for under $100/nite with free parking if you are a guest. I will be giving up a kitchenette and free breakfasts, but I will be staying in DC. The area is 4th Street NE, and it looks like by Route 1.

Where I am currently booked is in Alexandria, about 2 miles from 3 different metro stations. I kind of like where I am already booked, but if you've followed my earlier questions, you know I have concerns about the Metro being so far away and walking back to my hotel at night.

Need some insight. Thanks,

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convention Center Area

Not near the Convention Center and not in a place you wont to find yourself. Do not even consider this place. In general, do not look at any place in the NE quadrant of DC. You are much better off in Alexandria.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Convention Center Area

THANK YOU DARRELL!! I wanted an honest opinion.

I went back and reviewed my itinerary and I'm only planning on going to the Mall area 3 days, and the other three days I'm going to Gettysberg, Mt. Vernon, Arlington and Manassas so I will only have to deal with the Metro parking situation 3 days, one of them being a Sunday.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help :)

jc

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
324 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convention Center Area

Terrible neighborhood. You're better off looking at Crystal City VA and you'll be much happier and really not all that far from the action.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
307 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convention Center Area

Check out Crystal City. All of the hotels have a shuttle to Reagan Airport, which has a metro stop right there. Don't book directly with the hotel! Priceline that sucker! If you choose 3+ stars and name your own price, you can get a great hotel like Renaissance or Hyatt for $85 a night. That's what I always have my friends and family do when they visit.

If you HAVE to be near the Convention Center, check out the Grand Hyatt, Fairfield Inn (which is the cheapest), Courtyard Marriott.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Convention Center Area

No, I don't have to be near the convention center. i was just looking for a place closer to the Mall, and closer to a Metro station. I have a good price where I'm at now, just not within walking distance to a metro. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the Priceline idea.

6. Re: Convention Center Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:16