We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

Michigan Center...
11 posts
Save Topic
Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

Spending 4 days in DC easter break seeing sights/museums/monuments/Arlington with our kids ages 12 and 10. Then we plan to go to Gettysburg for 2 days. We have one extra day before or after Gettysburg and not sure if we should go to Mt. Vernon or Antietam. We have a car.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

I would say it depends on your family. Are you big Civil War buffs? I think one/two days of the Civil war might be enough. I love colonial history so I would say go to Mt Vernon. The house tour is very good and the exhibits they have are interesting. The crowds will be heavy with all of the school groups and other families on spring break.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

I love voting on other people's vacations. May want to consider Harper's ferry and Frederick. MT Vernon is great.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

That's an ambitious itinerary, especially with kids! Have you been to DC before? If you haven't, you could easily spend an entire DAY in *one* museum. Four days is not a whole lot of time to fit in all that (PLUS Gettysburg/Mt Vernon/Harpers Ferry) especially considering you are coming during prime tourist season (cherry blossoms + spring break = recipe for tons and tons of crowds).

Or do you mean you are spending four days in DC and then have additional days to spend at Gettysburg/Mt Vernon/Harpers Ferry? If so, then it's doable.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 13:03
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

One full day in Gettysburg is usually enough for most people. Harper's Ferry has an interesting and compact downtown historical area, but it also offers lots of hiking or canoeing if the kids want a break from history. Mt. Vernon is completely different.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

If you have an interest in the Civil War, you do not want to miss the special exhibit at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum. Look here: …si.edu/exhibitions/…

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

While I really liked the American Art museum's current exhibit, I think it is not the kind of thing that true civil war buffs would expect. Lots of landscapes and other works that the curator felt reflected various moods in the country at the time.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
307 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

Mt. Vernon is my vote. Lots of fun activities and educational programs (as well as a new educational center/museum) and its a working farm!

Michigan Center...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

Actually, we have 4 full days in DC and 2 days in Gettysburg. So much to think about for that extra day. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

What are your priorities? Scenery? History? Shopping? Dining? I really liked Harper's Ferry, for the hsitory and the scenery and, in the summer, tubing down the river. Antietam much less scenic, but good for history buffs. Alexandria is part of a large urban area. Some nice historic homes,but an entirely different atmosphere than the others and can be done as a quick jaunt from DC. Mt. Vernon can be done witha short tour. If you're already going to Gettysburg, you could also consider Catoctin Mountain park, near Camp David, and even venture further afield to the Amish areas of southern Pennsylvania.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 17:58
10. Re: Mt Vernon/Alexandria or Antietam/Harpers Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16