We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsure about mt Vernon

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Unsure about mt Vernon

I was wondering about mt Vernon and how much of a must do it is. We will be in dc 9/26-9/29 possibly extending if we need. It will be our family of 5 with 3 kids 11, 8, 7.

I checked out the website and have seen what there is to offer. My husband doesn't like touring old homes and being from Wisconsin a trip without farm animals is just fine with us. We have also done a distillery in Kentucky on our way home form Florida this winter.

So I'm looking to see if I am missing something or if for us skipping this to go elsewhere would be a better thing for us.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

If you are only in DC for 3 days, then Mount Vernon is not something I would do.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

I'd pass on Mt Vernon this time around and focus on the free things to do in the District. There's ton to do with just the Smithsonian, Mall, monuments, Capitol, ect. Mt Vernon is a little out of the way. They do have a nice museum and the grounds are really beautiful with views of the Potomac. But September seems like you might run into the crowds waiting to get in and tour a beautiful house.

WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

It's not a "must do" for a 3 day trip. There's the house and the octagonal barn. But they also have a great interpretive museum to understand the life of George Washington. The kids around here usually go as a 2nd grade field trip, so your children are the right age for it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

There is no such thing as a must see. It's a mythical beast. Don't sweat it. Some people don't visit air and space.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

Ok thanks. I think I am worrying so much as we try not to go back to the same places twice as there is so much to see and do throughout the country. DC in September then Sanibel Island in Florida in December and already looking into our Grand Canyon trip next September.

So many places to see and do and so little time before the kids are gone. That's when we can come back and hit up the places we skipped over along the way.

Thanks much for all the advice and help so far with this trip!

Hiram, Georgia
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

I feel the same way about vacations Casey. There are so many places to see in the US that it's hard to go back to the same place twice! I went to the Grand Canyon two years ago. You will love it.

7. Re: Unsure about mt Vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 04:15