We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

Thanks for all your help TA. My partner and I will be staying at the Willard this weekend for three nights. We do not eat meat or poultry, but do eat fish and like trying new, very skillfully prepared dishes.

We have made reservations at Zaytinya, Central Michel Richard and 701 Pennsylvania Avenue. We've eaten at Zaytinya before and loved it, however our reservation this time is for quite late -- not sure its the best option. I'm wondering a) did we make good choices? b) can you recommend a restaurant which would be perhaps more inspired and comfortable than our selections without breaking the bank (entrees under $40). We don't mind taking cabs to sites further afield.

Thank you so very much. Looking forward to our mini-break!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

Check out the menu at Ceiba, which is a few blocks from your hotel. You might also look at Fiola, Bibiana, and Poste.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

Oceanaire for Seafood is not far from the Willard and is delicious; Also Tosca has amazing fish and Northern Italian Food and is on the same block as Central -- keep your eyes peeled for a Senator or Supreme Court Justice.

For a local's favorite, try BlackSalt, which will require a cab ride out to the ritzy Palisades neighborhood west of Gtown. The food is worth the 15 min cab ride.

Laslty, if you can get a rez at Rasika, order the black cod. I have eaten all over the world, and this is hands down the best entree I have ever been served at a restaurant.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

If you like tapas try Jaleo

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
784 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

All three of your choices are excellent. I also second the additional suggestion of Rasika (or Rasika West End). Proof is another of my favorites, as is The Source by Wolfgang Puck, adjacent to the Newseum.

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

I would recommend Poste, Sax, Jaleo(downtown), Rosa Mexicana, Central, Cedar .. These are all in the same area

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

Thanks all -- we have reservations for Ceiba tonight, Legal Sea Foods tomorrow (hubby's request) and still unsure about Saturday. Can't get in to Rasika -- I've been trying for two weeks.

Thanks so much for the tips.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

I never understood the point of coming to a place like DC and eating at Legal Seafood, a chain restaurant that can be found in any strip mall in america.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

DCer30, the OP is from Canada. Also, many chains you apparently take for granted aren't found in smaller markets. But the best part is, they didn't invite you to the dinner, so you don't have to worry about it.

And for point of reference, if I want a good seafood meal without destroying the pocketbook, I go to Legal in Tyson's Corner. But if your're paying, though, I'm free for dinner this evening at Oceanaire. Just let me know what time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,608 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

"I never understood the point of coming to a place like DC and eating at Legal Seafood, a chain restaurant that can be found in any strip mall in america."

You must be thinking about Red Lobster, not Legal Sea Food. People go there because they will have a good meal. Oceanaire, Legal Sea Food and McCormick and Schick's are all chains. But all serve great seafood.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a fabulous meal

I understand your sentient, we are from Canada and don't have that particular chain. My husband rarely insists and we avoid chains as a rule, but had to give in to his request.