We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

We will be getting lunch between museum hopping in April. We'd like to see Chinatown, it seems a lot of people say it's tiny. My daughter is learning Chinese--are there any cultural sites to see?

Is it worth seeing? ALso do you have any recommendations on restaurants? Thanks in advance!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Chinatown is also known as Chinablock, it's that small. There are a few chinese restaurants and stores, and a nice gate. Otherwise it's a normal downtown neighborhoods filled with hotels, chain restaurants, normal restaurants, bars and office buildings. I don't think there are any Chinese cultural sights to see there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Also there's probably a thousand restaurants in DC area. What are you looking for?

Here's something to get you started: washingtonian.com/packages/…

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
150 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

I work in Chinatown and UkieDC is right - we call it "China Block" or "China Street." The main notable difference is that all of the regular stores and restaurants (Bed Bath and Beyond, Fuddruckers, Ruby Tuesdays, Subway, etc) also have their signs written in Chinese as a requirement for the area. Other than that, there aren't any Chinese "sights." Just some restaurants, which are all pretty decent. Nothing too outstanding. I prefer my local take-out place in Alexandria personally. The "Chinatown" aspect is actually being downplayed now by locals, notably when Metro renamed their stops and changed it from "Gallery Place/Chinatown" to just "Gallery Place."

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Actually looking for a chinese restaurant. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

dcist.com/2013/03/the_best_chinese_dishes_in…

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Thinking the OP probably doesn't want to go to Rockville - I'd suggest Full Kee in DC Chinatown/block. I've heard decent things about Wok n Roll too, plus it is in the building where Mary Suraatt's boarding was, so might be kind of cool historically.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Well there is still a decent retired Chinese community in the area; a handful of shops; and at least one place where they hand make noodles in the window (simiar to the place I went to in Flushing, NY in a real Chinatown).

I think it's not a real Chinatown if you can't buy a live animal for consumption and the closest you can get to that in DC's is a cooked duck hanging in the window.

BUT if your hungry and close by (very close to the Building Museum, Portrait and American Art), stop on by for what can be a very cheap lunch.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

I like Chinatown Express (I think that's the name; it's definitely got Express in it). It's on 6th St, just south of H, and it is like a REAL Chinese restaurant with handwritten signs in Chinese on the wall, and a window for watching the food being made.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

Full Kee is your best bet in Chinatown. With the exception of the big arch, there is absolutely nothing to see in DC's Chinatown unless seeing Urban Outfitters written in Chinese characters holds some appeal. If you want to explore a cool neighborhood and a particularly good Chinese restaurant, head maybe a mile from Chinatown to 14th Street (Logan Circle neighborhood) and go to Great Wall Szechuan House.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinatown: Worth it? Also...Best restaurants? family of 4

If you want to go to Chinatown for a Chinatown experience, there is none and it is not worth it. If you just want to have a quick lunch in between museum visits, it is also probably not worth walking all the way from the Mall for that. However, Chinatown is where Penn Quarter is, so it is very vibrant and have many shops and restaurant choices. It is a good area to walk around in.

If you really want to find a good Chinese restaurant around here, most of the good Chinese restaurants are in suburbs in Maryland, such as Rockville, Wheaton, and Silver Spring. They are inconvenient to get to unless you have a car. There is a large Chinese restaurant just across the river in Rosslyn that may be worth a visit. It is accessible by Metro from DC.

http://www.chinagardenva.com/