We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where and What in Washington DC????

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Where and What in Washington DC????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 18:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

The BEST tip I can give you is to start reading here on the forum and learn a lot about what your options are.

There is no one BEST area to stay. But the best combination of convenience and great places to eat is probably the Marriott Courtyard Convention Center and the Hotel Monaco, both on F Street NW in downtown.

You will not need a car to see the sights of DC.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 15:39
2. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 18:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

When I travel I like to stay at a hotel in a more residential area, if possible. That is what makes Dupont Circle so nice for tourists: restaurants, shopping and quiet residential streets for a stroll. But to get to most of the usual sights, taking Metro is the way from there. (Except for very good walkers.) So for someone who likes what I like, Dupont Circle is BEST.

When you read, don't miss the Top Questions up there on the top right on this page. It will help you get more suggestions for hotels.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

cindyp~ my/our favorite hotel to stay in is the Hotel Helix, which is in a residential area, yet walkable to the metro, bus stop and some attractions .(Note: Darrrell6t, who is extremely knowledgeble recommends a residential area). We have always been able to get a great rate at the Helix, which is a Kimpton property.Keep checking their rates (even after you book a room, if you do.) as they change quite a bit, and sometimes you can save a lot of money at the last minute! If not the Hotel Helix, look into other Kimpton properties in DC, as they have quite a few..... I hope I was of some help. Enjoy Your Trip!

www.hotelhelix.com/…

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

Georgetown would be pretty far down on my list of "must-see" places in D.C. For a family with an interest in history, I'd start with the monuments, memorials, museums and the U.S. Capitol. Another "must-see" in my book is Arlington National Cemetery. Depending on the amount of time you have, you could add Mount Vernon and Alexandria. Finally, don't forget to check out free stuff that goes on during the summer--military band concerts, outdoor movies, etc. The Washington Post's Going Out Guide will probably list these events as summer approaches.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

Your daughter may like old towne alexandria. There are a number of historic towns relatively close from Fredricksburg, Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg but all require a car. Williamsburg is a long daytrip and really deserves a couple of days (plenty of relatively inexpensive lodging outside of the historic district).

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria, as well as other parts of DC, have some good historic house tours: http://dchousemuseums.org. Dumbarton Oaks has a cool-looking (I haven't had a chance to check it out yet) art installation called Cloud Terrace.

The Mount Vernon estate is an excellent historic site. I have some quibbles with the information in their new visitor center, but the house tour, gardens, and farm are great fun. There is a working blacksmith who does an excellent presentation. As a colonial history buff, I think this is a must-see. But it does take about an hour to get there.

texas
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

You may be able to get cheaper hotel rates if you stay a little out and take the Metro. We considered that part of the vacation since we do not have those in Texas. We have gone twice. First time stayed at Embassy Suites in Crystal City. Second we stayed at Embassy Suites in Alexandria. We loved that the Metro is directly across the street from the hotel.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

I second embassy suites in old Alexandra. We stayed there last summer. It was great to be right across from train station and it was a nice town to walk around in

10. Re: Where and What in Washington DC????

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 06:16