We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Hello!

Myself and my girlfriend will be visiting Washington D.C. in July. I've been having a look at hotels and think I have narrowed it down to the following (based on Tripadvisor reviews and Trivago prices!). In no particular order:

Hotel Lombardy - 2019 Pennsylvania Ave NW - FOGGY BOTTOM?

Grand Hyatt Washington - 1000 H St NW - PENN QUARTER

Loews Madison Hotel - 1177 15th St NW - DOWNTOWN?

Kimpton Palomar - 2121 P St NW - DUPONT CIRCLE

They are all within budget (the Palomar is slightly over budget, but we stayed in a Kimpton in Chicago last year and were very impressed). Looking at Google maps, he Grand Hyatt and Madison seem to be the best located for the main sights, but I have seen many posts on Tripadvisor recommending the Dupont Circle area as a good place to stay.

We would most likely be interested in seeing the usual stuff: The White House, Capitol, National Mall, Smithsonian Museums, Lincoln Memorial etc and also have a trip to Mount Vernon planned (by boat) and are also hoping to book a Pentagon Tour. We'd like to be located near to restaurants, shops etc too. The Grand Hyatt is the cheapest option so if that's in a good area and easy to get to the sights listed above, then that would be great. I've read it's on top of the Metro Center, so easy to get to and from everywhere (though we will most likely be doing a lot of walking anyway to be honest). The Dupont Circle area looked like it was a lot further from the main attractions, but if someone who knows the area could confirm? We'll more than likely visit all of these areas anyway, but any advice on the hotels and locations above would be great.

Thanks very much.

Darren

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Dupont Circle is not "a lot further" from things, but it is further from most of the usual sites. BUT, it has a Metro station. It is a lovely neighborhood though. And where I live. But the Grand Hyatt is the most convenient hotel of those you mentioned. And the big construction project across the street is probably winding down, so noise shouldn't be a problem. None of those places would be a mistake. The Madison is probably the least convenient location, but not in any big way. From the Lombardy, you will also want to take Metro to many of the sights, as it is further west of the central part of The Mall.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Agreed with Darrell. The Grand Hyatt is right around the corner from my office, and is definitely within walking distance of pretty much everything "touristy" (WH, Monuments, National Mall, etc.). However, one thing to note that could confuse you upon arrival is that it is not located at the Archives/Penn Quarter Metro Stop, if you choose to Metro (which I suggest, along with walking, to be your mode of transportation). It is located closest to the Metro Center and Gallery Place stops. Penn Quarter will put you several blocks away to the SE.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 13:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Thanks for the tips!

The Grand Hyatt looks promising. I read they are undergoing a big refubishment but that should be finished by the time we go. I also saw the construction site accross the street on Google Streetview! :-)

One other Hotel has come into play... I found a good deal for the Marriot Metro Center hotel, which is just around the corner from the Grand Hyatt, so I assume an equally good location. Any thoughts?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Check out this recent thread with lots of love for the Marriott Metro Center: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k625777…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

The Marriott Metro Center has been the subject of much recent discussion. It is virtually the same area at the Grand Hyatt and is a fine hotel. Whether is is better than the Hyatt in any significant way is not something I know. You might check the reviews. It is also very, very close to the same Metro station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

The Marriot is looking promising..... there's a deal on lastminutetravel.co.uk for £113 per night for the dates we want to go in July. That's about $170 per night. Sounds like a bargain, so will check with the other half tonight and get it booked!

Thanks for the advice!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,585 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Unless you are a big fan of large office buildings, I would not take a tour of the Pentagon. It is mostly long empty corridors lined with closed doors. You can view the 9/11 Memorial anytime you want without taking the tour.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Good choice on Marriott Metro Center, IMO. Lots of people have been booking it lately through LMT and the deals really are spectacular. $170 per night in July sounds like a pretty good deal.

AM13

detroit, mich
Level Contributor
96 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

Dupont Circle is great. Lots of great restaurants, Phillips collection, bars, wine bars, jazz spots. I like the Fairfax, and the Residence inn. Palomar is across the street from rESIDENCE INN AND looks very fancy.

avalon

10. Re: Washington D.C. Trip - July 2013 - Hotel/Area advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:17