We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bull Run/Manassas

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bull Run/Manassas

Hi. I am already planning an all day adventure to Gettysburg. I am curious and excited that I'm going to be in Washington DC during the 150 year anniversary of the Civil War. I was thinking of also visiting Bull Run/Manassas. Is this worth a visit since I am going to Gettysburg already?

jc

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Manassas
Manassas
Prince William County, VA
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

They are different experiences but, if you're interested in the Civil War, both are worth a trip, Bull Run because it was one of the earliest battles and Gettysburg because it one of the deadliest. Gettysburg has all the various monuments on the field and the cemetery, which I think add something to the experience. I also like the fact that you can hire a guide to ride in your car at Gettysburg, if you want. They are all very knowledgeable and great to talk to.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

Check both sites online for special events that might be happening during your visit.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,131 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

I agree with Carol that the Manassas Battlefield is a different experience from Gettysburg, but it has a rich history of its own. If you are interested in Civil War battles, I would definitely make a stop there.

I recommend you check out the online information from the National Park Service about Manassas Battlefield. It may help you decide if it is a place you would like to visit:

http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Manassas
Manassas
Prince William County, VA
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

Thank you. I have been haunting the websites. I chose Gettysburg because, well, it's rather obvious. Bull Run, though, was where people went to watch thinking the Union would defeat the Confederates and it didn't happen. And it's close.

Thanks. You answered the question that a battle field isn't a battle field isn't a battlefield. They are all different.

jc

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

Another choice that you may not have considered is Antietam. The visitors center is small, but the guided tour they provide was, IMHO, better than Gettysburg. (It's a caravan tour - so you follow the Ranger-mobile in your own car and makes stops at the major points of the battle.)

I've done reviews of both Antietam and Gettysburg under my profile if you want to read more.

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
6. Re: Bull Run/Manassas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 04:16