We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for National Archives visit?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for National Archives visit?

Any suggestions on a museum/ attraction to do along with the Archives? We are doing it on a Saturday but wasn't sure what was in close proximity to it or if any museum would be good? It looks as though it is a little north so not totally sure of my geography yet..... Thanks! Also thinking of maybe exploring the DuPont Circle area that day also.... Appreciate the help!

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

The National Archives is a block from the Mall with all of the Smithsonian Museums and the National Gallery of Art. You can take your pick from among the museums that are there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

This map shows the Smithsonian museums in DC. Since the Archives isn't part of the Smithsonian it isn't shown but is just above the Sculpture Garden near the middle of the map. So you can see there is a lot nearby.

www.si.edu/Content/Pdf/Visit/mallmap.pdf

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

The Navy memorial & museum is right outside the Metro station. The museum is small but interesting.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

Besides the Smithsonians, it is also close to the Spy Museum and the Crime & Punishment Museum, as well as Madame Tussauds, which all cost. But there are a lot of options - it really just depends on what suits you best.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

Across the street from the National Archives, the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden is a nice place to spend some time.

The National Gallery of Art itself is something to consider too. It's free, huge (East and West buildings are connected by an underground walkway), gorgeous, and has interesting permanent and temporary art exhibits. It also has free classical music concerts at 6pm on Sundays in the most gorgeous space - looks like you're in an outdoor garden, but you're really inside (in warm weather, starting late May, they have jazz concerts in the Sculpture Garden Friday evenings).

I also like to walk over to The Newseum and look at the daily display out front showing that day's front page of a newspaper from each state + DC. (Too expensive to actually go in - LOL! I have been inside a couple of times and it is interesting - and gives really cool views of the Capitol, National Gallery, Federal Trade Commission, buildings on the Mall, etc. - but I've only gone when I've gotten free admission through some event.) Next to The Newseum, the Canadian Embassy has a tiny art gallery that sometimes has exhibits you can see for free.

In Dupont Circle, I like the Phillips Collection too.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

Thanks everyone for the great advice!! Sounds like there is a ton to do near there - appreciate it!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

One more note on NGA concerts - looks like they've added to the schedule and are offering some concerts at other days/times too - yay! :) http://www.nga.gov/programs/music/

Have a great time! :)

8. Re: Suggestions for National Archives visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:17