We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Row Walk

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Row Walk

Approx how long does it take to walk leisurely from Dupont Circle to the Naval Observatory and back ?? Is that a high traffic road?

Also, is Hillary Clinton's residence nearby and visible from the road - just to say we saw it !!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Row Walk

That is a distance of several miles. How long it takes will be dependent on how fast you walk and how much time you spend looking at things. I would suggest taking a bus or taxi up near Observatory Circle and then walking back down to Dupont Circle. Or even going further on the bus, up to the National Cathedral, and then walking back.

I know nothing abour the Clinton's residence. I would suppose it has Secret Service protestion.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Row Walk

There are interesting embassies all over Washington DC, and many many more beautiful ones even further up Embassy Row I recommend taking a taxi to the amazing home of the French Ambassador in Kalorama then walking back to Dupont along Mass Ave and the side streets.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Row Walk

Thanks - is it an uphill walk ?? We have thought of walking towards the Cathedral on one side and return on the other side to see both sides.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Row Walk

The cathedral is located on Mount Saint Alban, one of the higher points in DC, so it's an uphill walk.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Row Walk

It's uphill from Dupont Circle to the Cathedral and downhill the other way, obviously.

You pass many great embassies, a status of Winston Churchill, one of St. Jerome, a beautiful monument and garden dedicated to Kahlil Gibran, and the Naval Observatory, home of the VP.

The Clintons live at this address: 3067 Whitehaven St NW, It's a street just south of the Naval Observatory, going to the west of Mass. Avenue. It's a public street, and I assume people are always allowed to walk past it.

If it is similar to my experience at President Obama's house in Chicago (5046 S. Greenwood Avenue), back when he was still a candidate and the Primaries hadn't been completed: The Secret Service will allow you to walk by, stop, gawk, etc. But all pictures must be taken from across the street.

I just bicycled on Mass Avenue just this past Sunday; it's always a nice quiet, beautiful safe street. And there are embassies on both sides, and sometimes the only way to tell which is which is by looking at the "No Parking" signs, which saythings like "No Parking, Mon-Fri, 7:00-6:00, Embassy of East Jupiter".

There is also a bridge over Rock Creek Park, the DC Islamic Center, the actual Naval Observatory, complete with gigantic anchors at the main entrance, and a perfectly correct digital clock.

To get to the Cathedral to walk downhill, take the N2, N4, N6 bus from Dupont Circle on westbound Mass. Avenue at 20th St., or the 32 or 36 bus from any of many stops Eye St (letter I, actually) NW or Pennsylvania Avenue toward Friendship Hts.

If you walk uphill (not that bad, nothing like SF or the Bronx, NY), you go back on the n2,N4,N6 on Mass Ave going east, or 31, 32, 36 on Wisconsin Avenue going south).

Here are the two bus timetables. Note that the 31,32,36 buses also can get you to the Cathedral (and the start of Embassy Row) from the Tenleytown Station (you go south and backtrack a bit).

http://wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/30-36.pdf (it says weekday at the top, but scroll down for weekends);

http://wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/n246.pdf

Metro Rail system:

wmata.com/rail/docs/colormap_lettersize.pdf

Edited: 25 March 2013, 16:03
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Row Walk

Wow ! That was very comprehensive !

No offence but presume this is a very safe area due to the presence I'd so many embassies??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Row Walk

Your presumption is correct. Many police of various sorts, though it would be safe even without so many. One of DC's wealthier neighborhoods. No bars or nightclubs. In fact, no commercial activity at all, so don't look for a place to eat during your hike.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embassy Row Walk

I second the recommendation to walk by the French ambassador residence - it's a castle! As you walking down hill, take a left on Kalorama Rd, it's maybe a 5 min walk from Mass Ave, on 2221 Kalorama Road, NW.

9. Re: Embassy Row Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:17