We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any blooms yet?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Any blooms yet?

I know the peak cherry blossom time has been been pushed back until 3rd-6th - we are arriving this Friday the 29th and trying to put together a little mini itinerary. Should we check out the basin as soon as we arrive or wait until the 1st or 2nd? I know weather is unpredictable but just wondering if there is anything to see yet..... Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any blooms yet?

You may want to download this app...

nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/visitor-in…

And this addresses the "when will they bloom" query as well as anything...

nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/about/…

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any blooms yet?

Thank you - I actually have checked that site several times but was just looking for someone out there to comment on what they currently look like. Appreciate the response/1

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,962 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any blooms yet?

Elsewhere in the city, where the micro-climate is a bit warmer, there are some cherry trees in bloom. Based on what the guy on tonight's news said, I don't think there is any sign of pink around the Tidal Basin yet. And today, in case you didn't know, we had snow in DC.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any blooms yet?

There was no pink on Saturday and todays weather probably did not help.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any blooms yet?

Thanks everyone! Yes, I saw the weather as it was one degree warmer there than here......I think we will add the tidal basin to the Georgetown visit for Monday, the 1st.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any blooms yet?

We're coming the same time and my fingers are crossed that SOMETHING will bloom this weekend.

I've been following this person's post! It's up to date with photos. Just scroll down pass the charts

havecamerawilltravel.com/washington-photos/c…

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any blooms yet?

Have you checked the NPS web cam: www.nps.gov/cherry/cherry-blossom-web-cam.htm

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any blooms yet?

Thanks! I knew about one of those sites but not the other - very helpful!!

WashingtonDC
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any blooms yet?

My family walked around for 6 hours on Saturday 3/23 (Tidal Basin and the monuments). THERE ARE EARLY BLOOMING VARIETIES in bloom-- near the Washington Monument Lodge (gift shop and public restrooms) on the mall side of the monument. Only buds everywhere else.

Ask a Park Ranger (at any monoment info kiosk) for a cherry blossom map when you get here and ask where there are early blooming varieties. There was 1 tree in bloom near the Jefferson (back side, closer to the road, not near the water) and my husband thought it was a photography class. I told him, "No, honey, it's just the one and only tree in bloom that they've all seen all day today!" There were about 20 people around the tree with their fancy cameras. LOL! We're locals, so I want to go back next weekend.

PS - We went sledding yesterday morning in the VA suburbs, but it's all melted now. :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any blooms yet?

hi, I know the "peak season" has been pushed back from late March to April 5-6-7 ish. How long do the blooms last? Can we see them if we come around April 12-13-14?