We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

Hong kong
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

I would like to go to New York from Washington, there are two way can do that, one is by Greyhound and the other is by train. My hotel is at 22nd Street Northwest, Dupont Circle Washington D.C., I want to know which way is better for me from my hotel? I also want to know where is the exact location for Greyhound and Train station. Please reply for me if anyone knows! Thank you!

Maryland
Level Contributor
581 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

Other alternatives are:

www.megabus.com

www.boltbus.com/

Both leave from Union Station, which is on the red line of Metrorail. Greyhound also leaves from there now, as does Amtrak (the train) station.

See www.wmata.com for Metrorail information.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

I prefer to take Amtrak. More spacious and comfortable.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,092 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

There are also two bus companies that leave from near Dupont Circle. One is the DC2NY and I don't know the name of the other. But Amtrak is more comfortable and that is how I go.

To answer your specific question, Amtrak and Greyhound leave from Union Station, so there isn't any difference as far as getting to the starting point.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

Train is much more comfortable and reliable. The bus is cheaper, but any bus might get caught in the always busy traffic of I95. Most problems on a bus will be Friday afternoon through Sun. night.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

I think the train is better since, as mentioned, it's significantly more comfortable and faster. It's also only about $20 more than the bus if you buy tickets early enough, though it can be $100 more if you buy train tickets last minute. The bus (from any of the companies mentioned, also Vamoose, which you can catch in Bethesda which is on the same Metro line as Dupont Circle) usually takes six hours (it can be done in four if it doesn't stop in Baltimore and it doesn't leave or arrive during either city's rush hour), whereas the train is usually only three and half hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
307 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

The bus is very inexpensive but it rarely takes the 4 1/2 hours listed on the schedule. If you hit rush hour or weekend traffic, it easily stretches to 5 - 6 hours. How much time do you have? The train is almost always on time and will get you to NY in 4 hours.

Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

We used Vamoose New York (Penn Station) to/from Arlington. Porters stowed bags in luggage compartment, comfortable seats on both gold and tourist buses. Only downside was queueing on footpath to ensure two seats together.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

I have been looking in advance for months and not finding any decent train fares, so I'm taking the DCtoNY bus in 2 wks for a last minute cherry blossom trip. Will blog about the result! Just cannot justify over $100 each way on the train when I'm used to those old $49 each way fares. This isnt specific to cherry blossom time - even looking way in advance for Feb the Amtrak fares were crazy - like $172 each way unless I wanted to travel at 11pm.

The last time I took Bolt the driver texted the entire way to Philadelphia despite me asking her nicely to stop - and taking her picture and tweeting it and emailing it to the company (no response). Im hoping DCtoNY is safer! I much prefer Amtrak but havent found it EVER to be on time!

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 31 March 2013, 23:20
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,879 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

I don't know how you are looking. I just ran a search for your time frame and got $82 and $49 for each leg. I didn't see prices like you are describing.

Two weeks ago I snagged those $49 fares for my daughter and I--we just had to be a little flexible.

Is your schedule flexible?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enquiry which way is better from Washingto DC go to New York

Another Vote for Amtrak, very reliable and relaxing!